Chapter Five - [The Invite.]

I woke up when the sun was just beginning to rise.

Slowly sitting up, I pushed the bangs that had fallen in my face and looked around the darkened room. It took me a few seconds to realize where I was, and when I did I felt relieved. The hardest part of this move — actually leaving was over. Now I just had to get used to it.

I pulled back the covers and stood up, walking over to the window that would allow me to look over the front yard. I could barely see the outline of Aunt Lauren's car in the driveway. I could see just make out other lights in the far distance but other than that, nothing.

Coming from Los Angeles, where you could see thousands of city lights from practically anywhere, that was weird to me.

Turning away from the window, I couldn't believe I had slept that long. It was I must have been more exhausted than I thought, sleeping for about twelve hours. It was nearly seven o' clock in the morning. Knowing there was no way I'd be able to go back to sleep, I quickly made my bed. Slipping on my robe, I headed downstairs.

"I was starting to think you were dead," Aunt Lauren teased as I walked into the kitchen. She was in her sheriff uniform, drinking a cup of coffee and reading a newspaper. I gave her a small smile, still groggy.

"I guess I was just really tired," I answered, stifling a yawn as I opened the fridge.

The sight of the food made me cringe. Suddenly, the thought of eating anything already made me want to puke. Instead, I shut the fridge door and put on a pot of decaf coffee.

"What are you going to do today?"

"It doesn't look like there's much to do in this town," I muttered, reaching on my tip toes to grab a coffee mug and turning around to face her.

"There's always something to do," She said, shaking her head with an amused smile. "You just have to get used to it."

She left shortly after, and I sat in the kitchen for a long moment, absorbing the silence of the house. It was never quiet in my house, or in the entire city for that matter. I drained the rest of my coffee cup and put it in the sink.

"Maybe I can find some things to decorate my room with," I said to myself, looking around my partially bare room. I went upstairs and got dressed. It was pretty warm out already, so I opted for a sundress and some sandals. I let my dark hair fall freely down my shoulders, and didn't opt for any make up. I grabbed my sunglasses and over the shoulder purse and headed out.

There were a couple of resale stores downtown, and I decided to see those.

Sometimes, you could find some hidden gems in there. I was really happy with what Aunt Lauren had done with my room so far.

The first one that I stopped at was closest to the gravel parking lot that I had found between a restaurant and an old looking Dairy Queen. There was an older lady behind the counter, and it looked like she was halfway asleep.

The lighting was dim, and she had a fan blowing directly on her. It was no wonder she was tired. It wasn't even nine a.m, and it didn't look like this place got many customers. But regardless, I decided to take a look around.

There was a lot of vintage stuff. It looked like she had been in business a long time. There were a lot of vinyl records, and old video games and things like that. I almost left when something in the corner caught my eye. It looked like a bunch of old signs, so I started to go through them.

Charlotte Rd.

It was the last one, a little rusted in one of the corners. The green was faded, so it made it looked old. But otherwise, it was in good shape. I took it to the counter, and the lady eyed it for a second before muttering.