40. The Edward Situation

Start from the beginning

"You're obviously not telling me everything you know." I stated.

Liam managed to roll the ball back on the top of his foot, lifting his knee with a jerk to send the ball up toward his chest, stepping back and kicking the ball my way. It wasn't gentle, but it wasn't a complete beam. So I caught it easily, rolling the ball between my hands after a moment.

"Marley, I wouldn't worry about it too much." Liam says, his steps bringing him closer to me. My eyes darted to where my sisters were sitting on the grass, but they weren't there anymore. They must've disappeared inside the house. My hair whipped in the wind and Liam caught a strand, tucking it behind my ear so it won't get in my face. My eyes locked with his immediately after the lingering contact.

"Liam..." I say quietly, dropping my gaze.

"Marley..." He sighs, his voice causing me to look back up at him. "I'll show you sides of me not a lot of people know. And I'll love to show them all to you."

With his words, his voice became deep and slow while my breath hitched, his face leaning in toward mine with his eyes on my lips. I watched his as he watched mine.

Out of natural human instinct, I leaned forward as well but as soon as our lips were less than an inch from touching, Liam's presence was gone and he walked around me, going into the house to leave me wondering. He turned his head to flash a smirk my way, disappearing inside the back doors only a second after.

I stood there wondering what happened and why he didn't- No, I should be relieved that he didn't kiss me. I am relieved. I am.... No, I'm not. I wanted him to.

He teased me.

"Marley," Patricia's voice cut through the silence from the side of me. "Dinner is-... Are you okay?"

I cleared my throat and shifted from one foot to the other to stop the pins and needles from settling in. "Yeah, I am. Why?"

"You look a bit shaken up, is all." She assures. She steps out into the yard and closes the back door of the house behind her. "I know I'm the last person you'd like to talk to about any of this, but if you ever wanna vent about anything, you know that you have me to listen. And if you want it, maybe some advice. I'm not all too good at it, but I promise to try."

I peeked up at her. "Uh, wow. Thanks, Patricia." At the sound of me using her name, her gaze fell to the ground and she looked shattered.

"Of course, pet." She says softly. Pet? Her blouse picked up in the light wind, the hem blowing slightly around her waist. "Dinner is ready, if you're hungry."

"Thanks, but I think I lost my appetite." I say honestly. My stomach felt full- full of something unexplainable thanks to Liam. Confusion, perhaps.

"I know it's not my place, but is it because of this situation with Edward?" Patricia asks, her hands coming together in front of herself.

"What situation with Edward?" I ask, my body finding its way to completely face her. We stood several feet apart.

"That you are now here and he was only-"

"Mum, Marley," Zayn calls, his eyes dancing between us. "Karen asked me to come get you two. No ones gonna eat until everyone is sat at the dinner table."

"I'm sorry, dear." Patricia says to him, turning away from me to walk inside. I made my way toward the back door and Zayn watched me while holding the door open as I stumbled in past him.

"Do you know about the 'situation with Edward'?" I ask Zayn.

His eyes closed for a moment as he leaned down and pressed his lips to my temple before nodding. "I do."