The End

Arthur stood across the room facing a burly man seated behind a large dark wood desk. He was used to expressionless faces growing up with Tommy. Stoic eyes following Arthur's every move. A thick cigar sat in the burly man's mouth, his jaw flexing and moving as he chewed on the end of the unlit cigar. There had never been a time in Arthur's life where he'd felt more judged.

"I came here to ask for your blessing, but your silence tells me I won't get it." Arthur sighed and shook his head annoyed.

It'd been two days since he asked Alphonse Capone permission to marry his daughter. Two days waiting in a hotel room to be summoned back to his office for his answer. His mind was racing not for the answer he may or may not get, but what trouble Y/n was getting into. He had his fingers crossed she wouldn't go overboard before he got back. He hated Tommy's plan with a passion.

Laying there on the floor pretending to be dead hearing her scream. Hearing Y/n cry and wail. Losing herself in madness and grief. He fought against everything inside him telling him to get up and forced himself to stay on that floor. He wanted to jump up and pull her into him, explain, tell her how sorry he was, but it had to be believable. It broke him listening to her cry, the agony, and torment in her voice. The heartbreak he knew she wore on her face, but he knew Changretta would take the bait and it would end. She'd forgive him for the deception he hoped.

"You've got a lot of balls," Alphonse nodded at Arthur. "You show up in my town, come waltzing up to my office unannounced expecting to see me just because you're a fuckin' Shelby and then you have the fucking nerve to ask for my permission to marry my only child?"

There was a staredown between Alphonse and Arthur, neither blinked, but Alphonse didn't know as much about Arthur as he thought. Somewhere into the stare down Alphonse smiled. He saw so much of his little Y/n in Arthur. The brazen attitude, the stubbornness, the inability to take no for an answer. He definitely appreciated the nerve it took for Arthur to come to him like that. He didn't show any fear either. Alphonse had gotten too used to people cowering at the sight of him, giving in to whatever he wanted just because of who he was.

"I came to ask permission, yes, but whether I get it or not, I'm still going to marry her." Arthur wasn't going to back down.

Y/n wanted freedom and peace as much as he did. She didn't want to be trapped under the weight of family pressure anymore. Y/n never wanted the life of a fighter, never wanted to be the brute force of her father's business. Y/n was a dreamer and reader, a lover of walks in nature and animals big and small. He'd never forget how her face lit up seeing the stars at night, wrapping herself around Arthur for warmth and staring up at them in wonder. Though her feet were planted firmly on the ground, her head was up in the stars as much as Arthur's was.

Arthur wanted her to know comfort and laziness. He wanted her to be able to sleep in for as long as she wanted, to never have to jump up at the moment's notice to do some asinine task. Y/n deserved to laugh and live as she wished. If she wanted to lounge in bed all day in pajamas then he'd lay beside her and hold her tight. Most of all he wanted her to feel as loved and as important as she made him feel.

"Like I said, you've got balls, but what makes you think you'll get back to England?" Alphonse set his cigar in his ashtray and stood from his seat. His towering stature at full height, he cracked his neck rolling it side to side crossing the room to pour himself a drink. "You're a dead man, who would know if you never came back?"

"You'd really do that to your daughter?" Arthur eyed Alphonse carefully trying to mask his anger.

"She thinks you're dead. It wasn't me that hurt her, you and that stupid plan of your brothers did that." Alphonse laughed gruffly handing Arthur a glass.