S E V E N T Y-T H R E E

Start from the beginning

He raised an eyebrow at his blank reaction.

"Are you okay?" he asked, lowering Iris's shirt and pressing the bandage against the wound.

The piece of glass wasn't very big, but the wound bled a lot once the glass was removed.

Kai smelt so many different blood scents during the fighting that Iris's scent hardly affected him; even when his hands were covered with blood and the smell danced through his nose.

"I think so," Iris mumbled. "No. Everything hurts."

"I'm sorry." Kai let his gaze wander down Iris's torso. Everywhere he looked, every sneak of tanned skin, there was a bruise or scratch or cut. His eyebrows furrowed, causing a frown to etch on his forehead and on his lips. "I'm sorry."

Iris looked over, his hair falling over his eyes. "Don't be sorry. I decided to do this without your help, there's no reason to be sorry."

Kai leaned down, kissing a part of Iris's shoulder before it was covered with the bandage.

"I'm really proud of you. You did great out there. I won't lie, I tried looking for you every chance I got, I was worried and scared, but once I heard your speech, I knew you would be just fine."

Iris furrowed his eyebrows. "Speech?"

"Your little battle speech. It got a lot of us hyped up, you know."

Iris's confusion multiplied. "What? I didn't say anything."

Kai frowned. "Yes, you did. You were telling of a vampire and it turned out very inspirational. You don't remember."

"Mm, no. What exactly did I say?"

Kai narrowed his eyes before shaking his head. He tugged the bandage a little tighter once he looped it around Iris's chest again.

"Did you hit your head at all?" he asked.

"I did actually."

"How hard?" Kai brushed the back of Iris's head with his hand. He paused when Iris flinched.

"Pretty hard."

"Yeah, there's a bump. No blood, thankfully. Do you feel sick? Dizzy?"

Iris dropped his head forward. "Sleepy."

Kai smiled and shook his head again. "You can sleep all you want after this. But not now." He tapped under Iris's chin, making him raise his head.

Once he was finished wrapping the bandages, which went around Iris's right shoulder, partly down his bicep, and across his chest, he helped him put his shirt back on.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

Iris nodded. "I'm fine."

Kai looked down, picking up the excess bandages, then turned his head when a gentle hand cupped his cheek.

It was then that Iris fully took in Kai's appearance. He had small cuts across his face that had long stopped bleeding but were still red and irritated. He had a tired look impressed in his expression even though he smiled. His clothes were dirty with mud and crusted blood, and it was ripped in some areas; like his shoulder. There was a thin, vertical rip in his shirt and it exposed a large cut on his pale shoulder. There were a few smudges on his face, too.

Comparing Kai with the other beaten up vampires, he looked the least harmed. Most of the Vamps got away with only a scratch or three and the humans had the highest injury count, but that didn't come as a surprise.

Still, Kai's ocean eyes were vibrant as ever as he gleamed in Iris's direction. And Iris's smile still exposed his single dimple

"And you okay?" He asked, switching the attention onto the vampire.