F O R T Y-N I N E

Kai crossed his arms to stop himself from fidgeting. He pressed his back against the wall close to the back door and silently tapped his index finger on his bicep. He didn't know if his hunch was correct, but from recent occurrences, he had little doubt he was wrong.

Ever since Iris and Kai's conversation, the one about Iris being able to talk to Kai whenever he pleased, well, a strange vibe stared following the vampire. Whenever the two were alone, or were supposed to be alone, Kai had the feeling that a pair of ears and eyes other than their own was near them. He didn't know what to think of it until he started putting one and one together.

While Kai waited by the door, Iris was in his study completing the work he was given once again. All Kai had to ask was of he could go checking something and Iris allowed him to leave.

So, Kai found himself standing patiently and eager.

A few minutes passed and the door opened, letting in a cold gust of air. Kai stood up straight and narrowed his eyes at the figure who walked in. They quickly shut the door, and since he stood a good distance away from the door, away from the sight of the person, he obviously went unnoticed.

Until he cleared his throat.

"I knew it."

The person froze at his low voice and turned around with a smile.

"Oh..hey, Kai." Sage waved once and squeezed her hands behind her back. Her smile and attitude was falsely innocent, too wide and giggly.

"You're stalking us," Kai said bluntly. He pushed himself off the wall and stood right in front of Sage. "Stop it."

"Stalking?" Sage cringed at the word and crossed her arms, offended. "I am doing no such thing."

"Liar. I feel you, I know you're around whenever me and Iris–the prince–talk. No one else can possibly be that nosey."

"I'm not being nosey. I told you we had to talk but you never came to talk to me, so–"

"That's because I've been busy." Kai gestured in a random direction and Sage scoffed.

"Yes, I see that."

"So you admit to stalking."

"I...admit to watching you two when I'm probably not supposed to."

"Stalking."

Sage sighed in defeat and lowered her head. "Fine. Yes, but in a harmless way."

Kai shook his head and stepped away from her. "We'll talk later, though I don't know what you expect to learn. There's nothing to tell."

Sage made a face of disagreement before patting Kai's shoulder. "Oh...but there is plenty."

With continued uncertainty and annoyance, Kai proceeded to step away from Sage until he was walking down the hall, away from her and towards Iris's study. Maybe they're was a lot to say; a lot of unspoken words to admit.

But that would come later. That did come later.

††

Autumn came with a chilly promise and left with roads peppered in rusty colored leaves, and naked branches. The sun returned from hiding behind light gray clouds and a golden color painted over the villages, over Vridora.

A new year was approaching, a mighty heat was regenerating, and the youth was blooming.

Many things happened during the passing months, but boring, repetitive days occurred more times that those exciting or anticipated.