T H I R T Y-E I G H T

Iris felt conflicted and cluttered with thoughts. The urge to tell someone about his newfound emotions was like a nagging mosquito picking at his skin. He bit his thumbnail as he paced around his room. He didn't dare want to tell his dad, for not only was he unaware that his son liked the same sex, but his particular liking was directed towards a vampire. A vampire.

Iris sighed and ran his hands down his face. He was insane to be crushing on such a person, he didn't know what to do with himself, how to act or deal with his feelings. He froze when he bumped into the vampire, his mind delayed of reactions short of words to say. He's only ever seen him from a distance, but for some reason that's all that had to be done for Iris's heartbeat to stupidly increase.

When a knock came from his door, Iris flinched and sighed at being so startled. He opened it and gazed at his nurse who smiled at him in return.

"Hello, my prince! How are you this morning?"

"Good."

Ever since his party and their conversation last night, Allison has had a bright smile stitched onto her face when she greets Iris. She was originally supposed to be resigned to  work as a maid, but Iris talked to his dad and he agreed to let her stay as his nurse. He needed her wisdom close–or he had psychologically made himself think so. Allison was nice to have around, anyway, she had a brightness in her that both annoyed Iris and pleased him. Her ability to give Iris mixed feelings is a reason he liked her. She was great company in general.

"Good, good. So, I heard you still have a few guests to say goodbye to, and your father would like you to wear something very nice–but–" She hurried her sentence when Iris began to groan in the middle of it. Her grin made him raise a brow, "–I won't have you wear something so fine if you don't want to."

Iris crossed his arms, skeptical. "Why?"

"Well, it's only a handful of people. You'd look professional if you just put on a fitting coat."

"You can do that?"

"I am a legal guardian of you. I have some control over your actions. Some."

Iris chuckled and nodded at his nurse. "Yes, yes you do. Thank you, Allison."

Again, his words made her gleam. "You'd be such an angel if you followed the rules."

"Oh, don't start." Iris shook her comment off, but when he noticed her began to leave, something clicked inside his brain. "Wait, Allison."

The nurse let go of the doorhandle and glanced over her suoulder. "Yes?"

"Uh..can–can I get your opinion on something? Really quick?"

"Of course you can." In second, Allison had dragged the prince over to his bed and they were sitting side by side, Allison's eyes were locked onto Iris's but his own skidded around nervously. "I'm all ears."

"Okay.." In truth he had no idea where to start, "Okay, so..I know this person..and they like someone–"

"Mhm."

"But they shouldn't. And this person I very, very afraid of how they feel and they can't tell anyone–but they told me."

"Alright. Why shouldn't this person like the other?"

"Well...they're not human." Iris studied Allison's expression, watching for any signs that she might suspect it's him who he's talking about, but she stayed still.

"Oh. And your conflicted friend is human?"

"Yes."

"Ah.." Allison looked away this time, but only to ponder on her answer.