T H R E E

"And then mother beat him with a score eight to two!"

Iris nodded his head with an intrigued smile. He waited until the girl he dined with to turn her head so he could glare up at the Lord for punishing him.

"Iris, you play polo don't you?" The girl whipped her head around, her bun bobbing with her chest.

"Ah, no, not anymore." Iris cleared his throat and sat up straighter. "Unfortunately."

"That's a shame. Mother loved it when you joined us."

"Yes well..things change. Anyway, Rose, not to rush you or anything but I have a tight schedule-"

"Oh, you mean your paperwork? Isn't that vampire of yours doing it?"

"You mean Kai?"

"Who?"

"My "vampire"."

"Oh! I didn't know he had a name."

Iris watched Rose lick her spoon clean with narrowed eyes. He knew he told her Kai's name before. Perhaps all the products in her makeup is finally getting to her head and faltering with her memories.

"Why wouldn't he have a name?"

"Our servants have numbers. It's easier to keep track."

"Well, he's not a servant. And I'm certainly not like you," He muttered the last part under his breath, making the peppy princess tilt her head.

"What was that?"

"Nothing. But I have other things planned."

"I'm sure they aren't anything I can't accompany you with." Rose giggled as she reached out and held Iris's hand.

"Um, they aren't...but it's the fact whether I want...you to or not." Slowly Iris pulled his hand away and chuckled nervously.

"What?"

"I'm just going to be stuck in my office all day."

"I don't mind being stuck with you. You have plenty of books in there."

"That's nice but, I mind."

Rose's smile faltered but Iris spoke up before sadness could overwhelm her.

"I mind that your...entertainment will be greatly disappointed. I don't want to serve you anything but happiness and sitting around while I give you no attention what-so-ever isn't what I want you to experience."

Lie.

"Can you understand that?"

Rose bit her quivering lip, her pink-tinted lipstick stayed loyal on her mouth.

"But I won't see you for another week."

Iris stopped his smile and forced a frown upon his face. "You can count on me missing you. Come, let me walk you out."

"Iris, I can't stay for just a little longer?"

"The longer you stay the more I'll miss you." Iris thought to himself how corny but good that sounded. That'll definitely make her leave.

Rose sniffed but nodded her head. Before she left the mansion doors she turned around and hugged Iris. Her arms barely fitting around his torso.

"Goodbye, Iris!"

The prince smiled at her and waved. "I'll see you next week?"

"You can bet on it."

Damn.