[First Draft] Chapter 22: Together (Part Two)

Start from the beginning

Luc shrugged. "You've been unconscious since we were teleported onto the street. I did everything I could, but you wouldn't come too. I knew you weren't in danger, but I figured you'd just wake up... when you were ready."

"Ready?"

"Magic that dark affects people in strange way."

My face blanched. "I'm not still cursed, am I?"

"What? No!" Luc said, afraid of getting me worked up while I was still in a delicate state. "It just... leaves a mark. People and places that have come in contact which such stuff are forever changed."

Places... my mind changed gears, wondering about the place where our battle went down. "What happened to the apartments?" I said, worried. When the emergency services arrived-I assumed that's what he meant by Normals-I couldn't bear to think of the questions they would be asking.

"Oh don't worry," Polly interjected smirking. "He burnt the house down."

"You burnt the house down?" I cried.

"Not so loud!" Luc hissed, shooting a careful glance at Polly. He released me and wandered around my bed and over to Polly. He handed her the small bunch of daisies, shaking them at her as a warning. She snatched them away, narrowing her eyes, but the tension and hatred between them was absent.

He sat on the edge of my bed that was next to Polly. "I had too. Destroy the evidence."

I scowled, my brow creasing in thought. I don't know why I was upset. It wasn't like anything from my apartment would've survived anyway; the Beast had already done a good job to utterly destroying everything before the battle. It was just sad knowing now I had absolutely nothing to my name. And no place to live. Again.

"So now what?"

"You just heal," He smiled. "And I'll come by every day to, er, speed up the process,"

"No, I mean... after that... where are you staying?"

Luc shot a questioning glance at Polly. Polly raised her eyebrows.

"What, you want me to tell her? Am I actually allowed to talk now?" Polly said, obviously annoyed that she had been mostly left out of the conversation.

Luc just rolled his eyes in a playful way.

"Fine. He's been staying at my house," Polly continued, still glaring at Luc out of the corner of my eye. "I plan to have-or, ask‚ I guess-you both to move in,"

I gaped at her. I knew that the bond Polly and I shared would be stronger than ever now, but I never quite expected her to want to be housemates. Especially with Luc!

"Polly, why?" I stuttered in shock.

"Because," Polly said, her voice a little softer and her eyes a little sad. "I had been keeping it a certain way ever since Lillian left, to somehow keep it in her memory. But now I know what happened to her, I know it's not a good idea to hold onto these memories, to dwell on them. I want to share it now, make new memories in that house... to start fresh."

I nodded at her, a small smirk playing at my lips; I knew exactly how she felt. I thought back to the first time I had seen my apartment, standing by Lillian (who at the time I thought was Mrs. Malik), looking for the solace I so desperately craved. I had been looking to find a new beginning then... and that hadn't exactly turned out well. But now I had a second chance to do it over again.

And a fresh start was exactly what I needed.

THE END

+ + +

I want to thank anyone and everyone who took the time to read, support, vote, and comment on my little story! When I started writing this—posting these very chapters to Wattpad without any editing—I never imagined I'd get this kind of response. 

I am so glad that people enjoyed it, even in it's roughest form, and I hope you enjoyed the conclusion. 

As always, remember to vote and comment if you did! 😜

💜 Yvette

PS. There's a sequel, did you know?

PPS. If you're looking for something more polished, you should check out the new & improved version of THE PSYCHIC NEXT DOOR! It's been completely edited and expanded.

You can find the links here: http://www.yvetterussell.com/the-psychic-next-door