[First Draft] Chapter 4: Leave

I phoned Polly sobbing. I didn't know who else to call.

"What's the matter?" she asked desperately. I must've sounded even worse than I thought.

"My apartment... my apartment..." was all I could manage between sobs. I couldn't even put what had happened into words. I was curled up in a booth at the cafe near my building, and the waitress was watching me like I was about to snap. She kept her distance.

"Don't worry," Polly cooed, like she was soothing a child. "I'll be there as soon as I can. It will be alright. Where are you?"

I managed to choke out directions to the cafe and Polly promised to come as fast as she could, before hanging up. I guess this meant we were friends now.

But I couldn't focus on that. I could only think about what had happened in my apartment. I had never, ever heard a noise like that before. It was a scarring, hideous noise. I don't think I'll ever forget it. I rocked back in forth, on the seat, my face in my hands, trying not to have an absolute meltdown.

Polly was true to her word. She was there in less than 10 minutes. I had to admit, I was impressed, but that was overwhelmed by the residual fear I still felt. When she saw me, Polly's mouth fell open, and her eyes went wide. I must've looked absolutely manic, no wonder the waitress was keeping her distance.

"Rachel!" Polly gasped. "Oh my god! What happened to you?" She slid in the seat across from me, and grabbed my wrists.

"Oh God," I broke into fresh tears as my resolve to be strong melted away. "Oh God, Polly, I really think I'm going crazy. I don't know what else it could be. I'm losing it, I really am!"

She gently shushed me, as she rubbed my hands. Her hands were surprisingly warm, which must mean that mine were like ice. Now that I thought about it, my entire body shook with cold. I was freezing!

"Why, Rachel, why would you think that?" She whispered, looking at me with the pained look of compassion, not skepticism or disgust. I felt another swell of fondness for her.

"Its my apartment, Polly," I whispered back, my voice even lower and my tears coming slowly now. "God, there's something in my apartment." I shuddered involuntarily at the mention of it, whatever it was.

There was a flicker of confusion in her eyes.

I inhaled deeply, and I hoped her understanding would extend to this. "I think... I think my apartment is haunted or something. At first, it was just small noises, and little things disappearing. But today..." my voice shook, "Today, my laptop disappeared. The entire thing! And when I screamed in frustration... something screamed BACK."

Polly's eyes were narrowed, like she was processing what I was saying but she couldn't put it together in a way that made sense to her. "Someone was in your apartment?"

"No, Polly, that's the thing... there wasn't anyone there. There are bars on the window and the door was locked. And... and it didn't sound human..." I put my face back in my hands. "See? I'm totally going crazy."

There was no response. I peeked through my fingers at Polly, expecting the worst. But Polly didn't look uncomfortable to be near me, but she did look worried, and there was still no judgement in her eyes.

"Uhm, well, maybe you should talk to your landlord, maybe there's an animal stuck in a crawl space or something."

I shrugged, I wished it was that simple. If she had heard the noise...

"But until that's sorted you, you need to come and stay with me."

I looked up at her. I wasn't expecting that. I smiled at her weakly. "Are you sure?"