Chapter 18: Chance

Gabo was dead tired when the day ended. After his dad left, nagyaya pang maglaro ulit yung kambal. He couldn't keep up with the twins' energy. Ganito yata talaga pag tumatanda! I'll be 30 in a few minutes kaya dapat yata mag-exercise pa ako. Dalawa pa nga lang 'to di ko na kaya. May 22 pang parating para sa 24 na anak! Natawa si Gabo sa naisip.

He was about to sleep when someone knocked on his room's door. A few seconds later, Billy, Brielle and Gavin entered, singing "Happy Birthday," complete with party hats and a cake with candles. Gabo sat up, smiling, not knowing how to react. First time na may bumati sa kanya at exactly 12 midnight. At sina Billy pa talaga, making this birthday extra spacial.

"Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you! Happy birthday, happy birthday, happy birthday Tatay!" sabay-sabay na kanta ng mag-iina.

Brielle cheered and clapped three times. "Happy birthday Tatay, happy birthday Tatay! You look like a monkey and you smell like one, too!" she sang and laughed. Gabo picked her up and tickled her, making her laugh even harder. She put a party hat on his head. "Happy birthday, Tatay! How old are you na?"

"Thank you, princess. I'm 30," Gabo said.

"Thirty?!" Brielle said and began counting with her hands. "Tatay, I'm out of fingers! You're old!"

Tumawa si Gabo. "Use your toes. You can borrow my hands, too."

Brielle continued counting. "So Tatay is as old as four hands and two feet!" she said and bounced happily on his bed.

Gavin carried the cake carefully towards Gabo to not mess it up, with Billy assisting him. "Happy birthday, Tatay! Make a wish and blow out the candle!" Gavin said and sat on the bed, too. Billy followed suit, sitting beside Gavin para tulungan siya sa paghawak ng cake.

Gabo closed his eyes to make his wish. Papa God, thank you for another year. I know it's too much to ask for anything more. Everything in my life right now is almost perfect. Isa na lang po ang kulang: my family. Ang wish ko lang po para sa birthday ko is the chance to be with Billy again. I love her very much and I promise, we'll make it work this time, no matter what. Amen. He blew out the candle and opened his eyes. The kids clapped and Billy took the cake to put it on a bedside table.

"We love you, Tatay!" Brielle and Gavin said, hugging their father.

Gabo kissed the top of their heads. "I love you, too, Puddings," he said but looked at Billy intently. Billy just smiled at him.

"It's your turn to greet Tatay, Nanay!" sabi ni Brielle.

"Okay, okay," natatawang sagot ni Billy sa anak. "Happy birthday, Gabo," she said to him, still smiling.

Gavin looked at their parents. "How about the kiss, Nanay?"

"It's Tatay's birthday so he deserves a kiss kahit walang booboo!" Brielle said.

Billy rolled her eyes at the twins' antics. Kailan pa sila naging kakampi ng Tatay nila?! Pero pinagbigyan pa rin naman niya ang mga anak. She leaned closer to give Gabo a kiss on his cheek, making the twins squeal and smile widely, just like their father. These three adorable monkeys! Kinuha ni Billy ang cellphone niya para picturan ang mag-aama. Gabo also took out his phone and took a photo of the kids holding the cake and a selfie of the four of them sitting on his bed.

"Tara na Puddings, back to bed," Billy said to the twins. "We'll eat the cake when we wake up. It's already late, we can't have a sugar rush."

The twins and Gabo sighed in unison and, pouting, they cuddled closer, as if not agreeing with Billy's idea. Pinandilatan ni Billy si Gabo. Aba! Ako pa ang naging Mrs. Villain-rica ngayon?! She tried not to smile, standing her ground. Magiging spoiled 'tong mga 'to kay Gabo eh! Ako na naman ang bad cop!