Chapter 17: Father and Son

Gabo entered the twins' room, his heart still pounding merrily from what just happened even if he'd tried to stay calm in front of Billy. He almost laughed when he saw the kids in their beds, pretending to be fast asleep. These cute naughty Puddings! Manang-mana sa'kin! Hindi niya napigilang mapangiti. "Puddings, can Tatay talk to you? I know you guys are still awake," he said in a soft voice.

Brielle giggled softly and pulled her blanket up to cover half of her face, her eyes closed tightly, while Gavin slightly opened one eye to check where Gabo was. Natatawa na si Gabo pero pinigil niya at nagpanggap na seryoso. "Come on, di galit ang Tatay. I just need to talk to you two about Nanay and me. Please?" he asked again.

"Okay!" sagot ni Brielle na excited na bumangon at umupo sa kama niya.

"Noooo! Brielle! Remember, we're supposed to be asleep!" agad na reklamo ni Gavin who also sat up.

"Oops! Sorry Gavin!" Brielle answered, giggling again.

Umupo si Gabo sa kama ni Brielle at pumunta agad sa kanya ang anak para maupo sa kandungan niya. Gabo tapped his free leg and smiled at Gavin na tumayo na at pumunta sa kanila. With both his kids on his lap, inayos ni Gabo ang hawak niya sa kanila, not really knowing how to start The Talk. They're barely five years old and I'm already having this conversation with them! Ayan kasi masyadong nagpapadala sa emosyon! Dapat sa kwarto na lang next time! Billy and I should really be more careful. "Ano kasi Puddings, what you saw earlier—"

"We saw you touching Nanay's face, Tatay!" putol ni Gavin sa sasabihin ni Gabo.

"Tapos ikikiss mo si Nanay!" Brielle said. "Tatay, may booboo ba si Nanay sa lips? Kasi kapag may booboo kami, Nanay kisses us to make the booboo go away!" she asked innocently.

Gabo let out a sigh of relief. Buti naman pala hindi nila nakita! "I wanted to thank Nanay with a kiss because she gave me the most wonderful gifts for my birthday. First, you two," he said and tapped the kids' noses, making them laugh. "And second, she gave me a nice photobook of you two so I could see how you looked like when you were little! So I was going to say thank you to your Nanay and kiss her!" Gabo reasoned out. Thankfully, tumango ang kambal. "Bakit nga pala kayo nagising? You guys were already asleep when we left you in the room."

"'Cause I got hungry again Tatay. I woke Gavin up para samahan ako to go to Nanay's room to ask for milk so we can brush our teeth after," Brielle said with a pout.

Gabo pinched her cheek and the pout turned into a giggle. "Okay, I'll make you some milk. And then let's talk more about Nanay and me," he said and stood up, carrying the two kids na parehong kumapit sa balikat niya. Paglabas nila ng kwarto, pinaupo niya ang mga anak sa isang sofa sa living area ng suite. "I'll just make the milk. You'll be okay here?"

"Opo Tatay! Thank you!" the twins said together.

He went to the kitchen for a monent para magtimpla ng gatas at bumalik rin agad pagkatapos na dala ang mga baso. "Here you go Puddings." Nilapag niya ang gatas sa harap ng mga anak at umupo sa harap nila.

"Thank you Tatay!" they said and carefully got their glasses to drink their warm milk.

Gabo watched the twins with a smile on his face. "Puddings, you know a day from now is Tatay's official birthday, right?" The kids nodded. "Since it's my birthday, can I ask for your help so I can win your Nanay back and make her fall in love with me again?"

"Can't you just ask Nanay to love you as her gift for your birthday?" litong tanong ni Gavin.

"Di ba when you love someone, you love them because you do, not because you were asked to love them?" Gabo patiently explained to the kids. "You two love your Nanay, right Gavin, Brielle?" They nodded again. "Why do you love her?"