Chapter 04.

come on sport, cheer up.

‧̍̊˙˚˙˙˚˙ 04 ˙˚˙˙˚˙‧̍̊

everything had changed.               words•5,828
it seemed like a simple thing,
something he would wish
for under his breath. Now that
it's happened everything is different and he still hasn't processed any of it.

Today, a week of working for the Kaspbraks, a month living in Derry, and 56 days without her, and things look better. his door is open, the smell of pancakes is coming through, the sound of rain hits his window, it's quiet.

Moving so fast from California to Maine only gave them few living options, they live in a trailer on the bad side of town next to other trailers and an abandoned gas station. his room is smaller and the roof is slanted so his head almost touches the ceiling. but he has his band posters and his radio so he's fine. that's what he tells himself at least.

when he walks into the kitchen the curtains are pulled back and old rock music is playing quietly from the radio in the living room. Wentworth is flipping pancakes at the stove with a mug of black coffee in one hand. he notices Richie and doesn't know what to say.

"Mornin" he says finally after Richie has sat at the kitchen island.

"Good morning" Richie replies yawning. his dad was never in the kitchen, it was strange to see him making food that actually looked good. it was strange to see him out of his bedroom at all.

"how's working for the rich?" he jokes making Richie grin

"oh you know, stereotypical high school shit. i'm practically following around a f-" he hesitates, but he thinks their friends, "friend."

Went chuckles and slides a plate of pancakes over to Richie, "well i'm working the diner, wanna trade?"

"nah," he spoke around a mouthful of pancake, "he does my homework and watches my dog for me so.." he shrugs and went laughs.

"it's better here,"

it's random and it startles Richie. are they gonna finally talk about her?

"when you were a baby, and we lived here, we use to go on walks around the Quarry and get ice cream from Freezies.. brings back good memories, eh?" Went sits next to Richie with his plate and gives him a small smile. he would admit that he wasn't there for Richie much, but he had little choice. he doesn't know what to say but he hopes he's doing okay.

Richie smiles back, "yeah, i missed Bill"

Went huffs, "you two are trouble, you should focus on work"

Richie cackles, "yeah we are, but you should see this kid. he's.. a lot."

when he gets to the Kaspbrak residence that Saturday, there's music playing from the pool house and nice cars in the driveway. Richie was dressed to escort Eddie to the dance, meaning he was wearing black jeans and a dark red button up, minimal effort. although his dad did awkwardly assure him he looked handsome as he left the house. it started to sprinkle rain so he hurried into the house.