Never Make A Promise 10

Start from the beginning

"Why does that bother you so much?" Aliyah asked.

"Just...because- he just- argh! I don't know!" I said, shaking my head.

"Does it really bother you that he's not here?" Jordan asked.

"Shut up Jordan," I hissed, much to his amusement.

"Hi Hayley!" I heard behind me. I turned and saw Jessica.

"Oh, hey Jessica," I greeted, smiling.

"Listen, I hope that ride to your house wasn't too awkward for you. Damon INSISTED that I let him give me a ride home. He also said that we should talk about how the night before went. It was really meant to be a meeting between two english partners, but we ended up having a lot of fun. I just wanted to tell you how lucky you are," she said kindly. God she talked a lot.....wait! How lucky I was?

"Me? Lucky? I'm not sure what you mean," I said.

"Oh, well he talked about you constantly that one night. He said how it really bothered him the first time that you guys met that he didn't even affect you in the least bit and he really likes you now," she said, like it was the most obvious thing in the world. He talked about ME?

"I thought you two were....together."

"Us?" she laughed. "Gee, that wouldn't be so bad, but I've got a guy. Unfortunately he's thousands of miles away, but we're still going good. We're going to get married as soon as school gets out."

"I see. Congrats."

"Thank you. Well, I gotta get going. I'll talk to you later," she waved. She walked away and I turned back to Jordan and Aliyah. Jordan uncovered his ears.

"Jessica, one of the nicest girls around. But she. Can. Talk."

"I believe that's called a chatterbox," Aliyah said.

"Can you believe that?" I huffed.

"That she and Damon are partners? I know, he's two-timing you," Jordan nudged me. I kicked his chin. Not hard, but not soft either. He only laughed.

"Not that," I said. "He talked about me to her."

"Makes you wonder who else he's talked to about you," Jordan said.

"Why would he......why would he try to make me think that he and Jessica were together then?" I asked cluelessly. Jordan flicked my forehead.

"Should've had a V8," he said. "He was trying to make you jealous, silly."

"He was not," I denied.

"Was too."

"Was not."

"Was too!"

"Was not!"

"Oh, shut up you two!" Aliyah cried out.

"Was too," Jordan mumbled.

"Okay fine. Let's say, for arguements sake, that he WAS trying to make me jealous. It didn't work," I said.

"It did too," Jordan said.

"You know what Jordan? Shut it," I said.

"Hayley, you can admit it now. You like him," Aliyah said. I shook my head.

"Admit it, Hayls," Jordan sang.

"There's nothing to admit," I sang back.

"Fine, be that way cranky pants," Aliyah said. The bell rang and we went our seperate ways to class. I wasn't jealous. I didn't get jealous. I don't like Damon.

Back home, in the middle of my Calculus homework, my phone rang. Not bothering to look at the number, I answered.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hayley, sorry I missed the day, I just had some issues to work out," he said. How did-

"Damon? How did you get my number?"

"I asked Jordan," he said casually. Of course. Count on Jordan, I thought, shaking my head.

"Well, I don't know why you told Mr. Adams to tell me where you were."

"Didn't want you to worry about me."

"I wasn't worried."

"Not in the least bit?"

"Nope."

"That's a shame. Anyway, what do you want to do for the Chemistry project?"

"I don't know. To be honest, I haven't really thought about it."

"Too busy thinking about me?" he crooned. I narrowed my eyes.

"No," I said.

"Shame," he mumbled. I rolled my eyes. If he wasn't completely consumed with himself.....

"Damon, I have to go, I'll see you tomorrow," I said.

"Okay, love you," he teased. I tensed up at that and a little shiver went through me. Why did I have that reaction? I didn't care if he said that he loved me. He was only kidding. He didn't mean it.

"Yeah, yeah," I said, hanging up. I was so confused. Why would he say that to me? He was kidding, surely he was kidding. He couldn't possibly mean that. Of course, he didn't Hayley, I thought. They never do. That night, I discovered, was Chris' last night with us. He was going back home the next day and he was considering moving here. Huh, gee, I wonder why. They still won't admit that they're dating, but you can just tell with the way these two look at each other that they are. It's cute to watch. I said my goodbye to Chris that night, seeing that he was leaving while I was in school and I woke up eariler than he did in the morning. Joyce stayed in the guest room longer than I did. Much longer than I did, if you catch my drift.

The next day in first hour, I came into the class room with Jordan and saw that Seth and Damon were back. I rolled my eyes and went to sit by Damon.

"I think I know what we can do," he said, as soon as I sat down.

"Oh yeah, what?" I asked.

"It was my brother's idea. Growing crystals."

"Not a BAD idea. It sounds fun actually. How long would that take?"

"Psh, like I know. I told you it was Larry's idea. I didn't ask for details. You'll have to do that yourself," he grinned. Oh he was good.

"Would Jessica like that?" I asked, reading what Mr. Adams had written down on the chalkboard.

"Why would she have a problem with it?"

"Isn't she your girlfriend?"

"No."

"Really?" I asked, pretending to be surprised.

"What made you think she was my girlfriend?"

"Just the way she talked about you. And how excited she was for your date tonight," I teased. The look on his face was priceless.

"D-date?" he stuttered. I fake gasped.

"Did the great Damon just stutter about a date? Are you actually nervous?" I asked.

"No, why would I be?" he said, playing it cool. I could tell he was still nervous.

"Relax, I was kidding. She never said anything like that. She's got a boyfriend that she's going to marry at the end of the school year," I said. I could have let him suffer like that, but it wouldn't be fair to Jessica.

"You're funny," he muttered.

"I know I am, thank you for telling me."

"Do you want to come over after school?" he asked.

"Today?"

"Today is when I'm asking."

"Uh, sure," I said, a little surprised that I gave in so easily.

"Great," he smirked. "Just meet me out in the parking lot and we'll go."

"Okay," I said, not looking at him. What had I just agreed to?