The Show Must Go On {10}

Start from the beginning

                “Charming,” I said, turning my attention to Neo.

                Neo peeked up at me, searching my face. I offered him a smile as I grabbed a piece of cantaloupe.

                “So, is this all you guys do when you hang out? Talk about sex, eat fruit, and make Scott uncomfortable?” Neo asked.

                “We rarely talk about sex, actually. And it’s hard to make Scott uncomfortable,” I said.

                “Leave Scott out of this,” Scott said, standing up and pulling his newt, Isaac, out of its tank. He placed Isaac in his hand and sat down, grabbing an apple slice and placing it in front of Isaac. The newt crawled forward, placing its mouth on the apple slice.

                “Wow you are adorable,” Neo said. “You are seriously feeding your newt an apple.”

                “Isaac has to eat,” Scott said, shrugging.

                “I hope you took him out of the room when you had sex,” Neo said.

                “Scott put a towel over Isaac’s tank,” I said.

                “You did not,” Neo said.

                “I did,” Scott said.

                “It’s illegal to be so damn cute,” Neo said.

                “Scott doesn’t mess around when it comes to his pets,” Bennett said.

                “Scotty!” Mrs. Anderson’s voice called from downstairs. “Scott, come down here!”

                Scott sighed and got up, holding his hand out flat so that he wouldn’t disturb Isaac. He left his bedroom, and I turned to Neo.

                “Wait,” Neo said, holding up his hand. “Make the stalker leave.”

                “Bennett, leave,” I said.

                “I already know what’s going on,” he said, getting up. “But I’ll let you two pretend I’m ignorant.”

                He left the room and I nodded at Neo to talk. He just stared at me, though, looking like he was trying to figure me out.

                “Why?” he said finally.

                “Because you’re different. You’re…complicated,” I said.

                “You’re really bad at complementing a guy,” he said.

                “I’m just stating facts,” I said, crossing my legs and resting my elbows on my knees.

                “You’ve been with so many people. I don’t think I trust you,” Neo said. “In fact, I would be completely stupid to trust you. Anyone who thinks that they actually mean something to you is stupid. I know why so many people flock to you. They want to be the one to change you. But you don’t want to be changed. You like what you do. You get a sick pleasure out of breaking hearts.”

                “Clearly, you don’t have me figured out,” I said. “It’s not like that, Neo.”

                “You’re a spoiled little brat who doesn’t care who he hurts as long as he’s having fun while he’s doing it,” Neo said.