Chapter 3: Grim Reaper

I now understood why he was in such a troubled condition when he saw me after the accident, no, attempt to murder. I felt what he felt. Every inch of my body trembled and I was hyperventilating. At first, my brain refused to believe that the crimson liquid that is smeared all over my hands was blood. Not mine but his blood. 

I resented myself so much because I couldn't do anything to stop the bleeding. He took two bullets to his chest and blood was flowing like a river. What could I do with a pair of wounded hands? Hearing him wail, seeing him convolute in pain felt like watching the world in front of me crumble to dust. 

Tears plummeted down my cheeks uncontrollably, I was petrified and paralysed with a paroxysm of fear, fear of losing him. Frantically, I took off my cardigan and tried my very best to apply pressure to the gunshot wounds. I could have gone to get the first-aid kit but I was too scared. Leaving his side for even a single second would summon horrifying thoughts. 

 With my own condition worsening, there was nothing in my power that I could do to help him, to pull him away from death's pit. Please, please, please, God. Take me, I am supposed to die today, not him. 

"Nic- Nic, hang in there! Stay with me! Stay with me, please. Please." I tapped his face to keep him conscious and held his hand tightly. I could feel the warmth leaving his face and his motions were minimal. I replaced my hands at his wounds and pressed even harder. WHERE IS THE BLOODY AMBULANCE?

" Blaze, stop," he said faintly. He placed his hands on mine and pushed it away from his chest. He reached for my head and pulled it to his icy-cold lips. Tears of pain and agony streamed down his pale face. That very moment, I realised death had his hands on him. My heart was pounding so fast against my chest. It hurt so much that I felt like I was being suffocated.

"I love you, Blaze. I love you so much but I – I don't deserve you. I can never forgive myself for what I just did to you. I kept you in the dark because I couldn't bring myself to talk to you. Blaze, I am so sorry. Bla-" he said, looking into my eyes. For some unknown reasons, I saw so much remorse and regret in those eyes. What is he saying? I felt a sudden jolt in my throat and the taste of blood flooded my mouth. I could hear him saying something but I was not able to comprehend it. Everything just went blank.

"Blaze, promise me. Promise me, you wouldn't try to find them, please. They are dangerous. I know because-"

" No, Nic. We can talk about this later, once you get treated. You don't have to tell me anything and I will never ask you about it. I don't want to lose you. Now, you just hang in there, Nic. Just stay with me, please," I begged him and pulled his frail body into a hug. " Promise me, Blaze," he whispered in my ears. His grip on my shoulder began to loosen. His eyes fluttered shut.

" I promise! I promise you, Nic. Wake up, Nic! Please, don't go. Please, please, no. Don't go, Nic. No, no. Please, wake up." I cried while shaking him but I could no longer hold up. I couldn't watch him go, taking everything, every single thing away but the pain from me. I was eager for death to invite me, to take me, instead of him. When I heard the blaring siren of the ambulance, I let myself drift in the darkness that finally opened its doors for me.

***

I never wanted to wake up. If I don't wake up, I would not have to know what happened to him. I wouldn't have to know whether he died or not. I rather just live in the dark with the memory of still feeling his weak pulse, still hearing his barely audible breathing. 

When I gained my consciousness, the first thing that I saw was my mother's watery grey eyes, reflecting relieve and gratefulness but no joy. It disappeared within seconds. The smile that instantly grew on her face, left her eyes, replaced by sorrow. She shook her head while tears cascaded down her hollow cheeks. " I can't do this," she mumbled under her breath and ran out of the ward. Your face says it all. I just need to hear you say it.

Across the room, an average height figure stood while hugging his arms. His jet black hair was uncombed and dark circles surrounded his teary eyes. With heavy footsteps, he approached me in silence. After meeting my eyes, he pulled me into his arms and started weeping in my shoulder. Say it, Siddharth.

" Nic is gone, Blaze."

---------------------------

Author's note:

Dear precious readers,

Sorry for the late update. I know I made you guys wait too long. I hope you enjoy reading this chapter and feel free to share your views. They are so valuable to me. If there are any errors in the chapter, do tell me.

Lots of love,

NFPotterhead