Chapter 48

Rook's POV

Sitting on the branch of a large oak tree, I grip onto the rough bark with all of my strength. I stretch out as far as I can, using my long lean body to reach a bird's nest the next branch over. I keep my ears perked, listening for the mother bird to come back and catch me trying to steal one of her eggs.

"Rook, hurry up. You're almost there!" I hear a hushed shout call from a little ways behind me.

"I'm trying, Rae!" I answer back with a grunt.

I manage to get my mouth around one of the blue eggs and pull myself back onto the branch. I turn around and head back to the trunk of the tree where my silver patched, chocolate companion is waiting excitedly. That is until her rounded ears flatten against her head and she shrinks back, her eyes looking just beyond me. Pausing I look over my shoulder and almost drop the egg in surprise. Not too far away I can see the mother Robin heading our way, having already spotted us.

Well shit

I dart as fast as I can to Rae and back down the tree, gravity bringing a slight pain to my claws which are working hard to keep me from tumbling to the ground. I can hear my companion scurrying behind me, terrified squeals letting me know that the bird is gaining on us. Once close enough to the earth, I throw myself off of the tree and take off as soon as my legs hit the dirt. In several large bounds, I dive head first into a burrow and wiggle my sleek body further inside until I make it to a large open space. 

"That was way too close!" Rae exclaims, breathing heavily once she makes it inside.

I carefully drop the egg with a sigh and nod my head in agreement, "You're right. It was, but..." I smile and look at the egg, "we now have dinner!"

Rae shakes her head, a smile tugging at the corner of her mouth, "You are one brave Weasel....are you sure you're not actually a Mink?"

I tilt my head with a huff of disagreement, "No, I'm just hungry and an egg sounded really good."

 Rae takes a seat and looks at the egg hungrily, "I wouldn't be surprised if you were a Mink, I mean just look at your size."

I decide to ignore her comment and use a sharp claw to puncture the egg's shell. Immediately the insides start to gush out and Rae quickly starts to lick at it. She hums in pleasure to which I also lean in and have a taste.

"It's delicious! I've never had an egg before!" she exclaims with bright eyes.

I smile but it disappears from my face when I hear something entering the burrow, I bring myself up to my full size and snarl at the hole. After a second a hedgehog with golden quills bumbles in and glances at me in amusement. Recognizing the creature, I relax and smile in welcome.

"Hello, Ameris.."

"Hi!" I quickly interrupt, "I'm surprised to see you here, Caelirn."

The hedgehog glances at Rae then back to me with understanding, "I thought I'd drop in and see how the local wildlife is doing. I have to say, I wasn't expecting to see you either, Rook."

I sigh in relief at her use of my preferred name and the one that Rae knows me by. I turn my attention to my Weasel companion and smile, "Rae, this is Caelirn. She is..." I pause not sure what to call her since we aren't exactly friends.

"A goddess. It's nice to meet you." she finishes.

"O...oh....really?" Rae asks looking at me in question.

I lower my head knowing that there is no way out of the hole that the other god has already dug, "Yeah. She's the Goddess of the Dark." I narrow my eyes at the golden quilled goddess, "Normally she takes the form of an owl."

Caelirn twitches her nose and settles herself into a laying position, her quills just barely scratching the ceiling of the burrow, "I'm a goddess, I can change forms whenever I please." she says defiantly.

"You're ridiculous." I say rolling my eyes.

The goddess narrows her eyes at me before turning her attention to Rae, "Could I speak to Rook alone for a moment?"

Rae looks at me concerned but nods her head and carefully makes her way around the hedgehog and out of the burrow. Caelrin waits until she hears the Weasel leave through the exit before settling a serious look towards me. 

"So, explain to me why you are in this burrow disguised as a Weasel." She demands with a grave tone.

I lower my head with a sigh, knowing that there is no getting out of this situation. Especially since practically all of the gods already know that I have a mortal mate. "I had to leave the pack. Being around Ravi was getting too dangerous. I could feel our powers merging the longer we were in the same space."

"And you couldn't bring your mate along, why?" She asks with a judgmental tone which I'm starting to get used to.

"Her pack is everything to her, I couldn't just ask her to leave it all behind and run away with me." I say glaring at the ground, trying to convince myself that my reason was sound.

The goddess lets out an irritated groan. "Now look who is the ridiculous one. Amerissa, she is your mate. She would have gone with you. Dammit, I would kill to have what you do but you're abusing it."

I look up at the hedgehog, "You might not have a mate but there is nothing stopping you from trying to find love on your own, you know." I smirk, "If you lose the quills, I'm sure you could woo little Miss Rae." 

Caelirn narrows her eyes at me once again, "Don't be a smartass and try to change the subject. We are talking about you and your mate right now." There is a short pause before her face softens into a nervous one, "...do you mean it? Do you think losing my quills would work?"

I burst into laughter and nod my head, "Most definitely!"

The hedgehog looks thoughtful for a moment before she starts to glow, her quilled form being replaced by the sleek white body of a Weasel with a golden crest running down her back. Her striking white eyes are still the same as they were before and they are filled with joy as she looks herself over.

"Perfect. Now let me play match maker!" I squeal excitedly, standing on my hind legs to clap my front paws together.

Caelirn gives me a wary look, "I don't want love advice from someone that left their mate behind."

I give her a hurt look, "Harsh. Come on! It'll be fun!"

"Fine, but go easy on the cheesy stuff!" she finally gives in.

I grin and look at the hole of the burrow, "Rae! You can come back now!" I call out, my nerves jumping with excitement.

This is going to be so fun. Time to play Cupid!

Oof the virus has my sleeping schedule so out of whack. Anyone else losing track of time? What do you y'all think of Caelirn and Rae? Do you think Rook will make a good Cupid?