Chapter 37

Ivory’s Pov

Once my brother and his mate are done circling me and rubbing themselves against my sides they stand before me with very upset faces. Their ears pinned to the back of their heads and their tails raised.

“Where the hell have you been!?” Broach shouts.

I don’t flinch away from his voice but I do lower my ears in a frown, my body language instinctively getting defensive. “I went to find my mate.”

From the corner of my eye I can see Rook turn her head to look at me but I keep my snout pointed towards the two wolves that are now harassing me about my absence. Focusing on my brother again I can see a surprised look plastered onto his face.

He had no idea…well I guess he is kinda dense

Looking at Willow her reaction is the polar opposite. She smiles proudly at me before doing the same at Rook who must still be looking this way.

“Your mate?” He looks over towards Rook, “Her?”

His tone puts a bitter taste in my mouth and before I know it I have my teeth bared and a rumbling growl coming from my throat, “Don’t be so disrespectful.”

Broach once again looks surprised but keeps his mouth shut allowing his mate to take over the discussion. She, thankfully, is more understanding and remains calm about the whole ordeal.

“I’m glad you’re home safe and that you found Rook. I’m sure it wasn’t easy to do.” She gives me a knowing grin.

I chuckle and shake my head, my anger from a moment ago suddenly gone, “I had help from Emily, but you’re right. It wasn’t easy.  Especially since she hid in a human town.”

Everyone from the River Valley Pack snaps to attention whereas Rook’s old pack doesn’t seem fazed at all.

“You went into a human town!? You could have been killed!” Broach yells once again.

“That would have never been allowed to happen.” My mate speaks up.

Everyone turns their attention towards her, my brother obviously ready to yell at her for putting me in such danger; however, Rook holds him in a steady stare that keeps his voice from being heard.

“My mother turned her into a human before she entered the town. She was perfectly safe.”

I move closer to my mate, the golden scrutinizing eyes of my packmates starting to make me feel uncomfortable, “It’s true. The Moon Goddess sent a star to turn me into a human while I slept outside of the town.”

They don’t believe me

I look up at Rook trying to convey with my eyes what I want her to do and as I expected she nods in understanding before lowering her head to press her nose against mine. Immediately I lower my ears in embarrassment as she does the equivalent to human kissing right in front of everyone, but my embarrassment is interrupted once the warm tingling of energy floods my body.

Here we go again...please don't be naked

Rook’s Pov

Taking a step back I look at Ivory who is still shorter than me as a human but definitely taller than the rest of the pack. She looks down at herself before trying to cover her nakedness from the pack and me, the others notice her discomfort and look down; however, I stare openly.

Damnnn

“R..Rook stop staring.” She whines.

Peeling my eyes away from her I growl at some of the Lycan males that I can tell are peeking, they flinch and look at the ground again. Moving forward I put my large frame in front of her and gently press my side against her body to cover her most private parts. My mate grips onto my fur and buries her head in it trying to hide the deep red of her cheeks.

“This was a bad idea…” She whispers so that only I could hear it, her muffled voice brushing against my coat.

I chuckle and turn my head around as far as I can to look at her, she lifts her head at the feel of my movement and looks over at me with a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips. As her smile grows wider I can see a glint of mischief flicker in her eyes, but before I can try and move away she untangles her fingers from my side and places each palm on the sides of my cheeks. She gently pinches the skin and stretches it out to the sides, giggling with great amusement at how far out she can pull the skin.

Ow, seriously, woman!? I am a goddess not a baby!

She must have seen a hint of pain in my face cause she stops pulling and runs her thumbs gently over the now sore flesh. Her eyes have softened now looking at me with care instead of looking me over like I’d be a fun field mouse to tease.

“Sorry, I couldn’t resist the temptation.” She says quietly.

I huff with a roll of my eyes to which she narrows her eyes, “Don’t give me your attitude. As your mate I will not accept it.”

She said it again infront of everyone…

My heart leaps like it did before when she called me her mate and I want nothing more than to pounce on her right now. Being the oh so perceptive mate that she is, Ivory pulls my head down and places feather soft kiss between my eyes. Her lips move against my shorter fur, her breath tickling ever so slightly in another whisper.

“You’re lucky I love you even with your attitude,” she pauses in thought, “babe.”

Did I hear that right? Did she just…

“I uh heard someone say it to a person they were with while we went into town...did I use it right?” She says with a glowing red face.

I nod my head excitedly and lick her cheek.

Finally...I’m finally not alone. I have someone that loves me after all of these centuries of nothing but cold darkness...