Chapter 20

"Lunch is served." Rick said walking into the living room with a tray with three bowls of soup, and crackers. He set the tray on the coffee table and helped Kate sit up. Kate got Alexander settled and helped him hold the soup bowl.

"I can do it mom." He said confident and Kate smiled kissing his head. Rick handed Kate her bowl and she settled next to her son and Rick went and sat in the arm chair.

"Are you feeling better baby boy?" Kate asked after a few minuets of quiet.

Alex went to nod, but his face went pale, "mommy." He held a hand over his mouth as Kate grabbed his bowl. Rick shot up from the chair and scooped up Alexander running with him to the bathroom, Kate close behind. They made it just in time. Kate rubbed her sons back and Rick held a cool washcloth on the back of his neck.

"Better?" Kate asked once A.J. Started to lean back into her. He nodded and she lifted him up to sit on the counter. "Rick, will you wipe his face down?" Kate asked, "I need to get some air." She quickly left the bathroom trying to keep her composure.

"Momma ok?"

"Yeah, momma is ok A.J." Rick finished cleaning up Alexander and carried him into the living room. "I'm going to check on mum, you ok for a few? Why don't you pick out a movie to watch?"

"Ok daddy." Rick made his way to the bedroom to hear the shower on in the bathroom. Rick opened the bathroom door to find Kate stripping down, not in the shower yet.

"Kate?" She turned around hot tears in her eyes. "Kate, what are you doing?"

"Taking a shower."

"I know you are, sweetie, but why the tears?" He stepped closer to her.

"I called my dad, he's going to come take care of Alex while we go to court.."

"Kate," Rick cupped her cheek, "we can change the date, I know you hate not being able to take care if A.J."

"Rick, we need to go, as much as I don't want to we need to go. I'm sick of always wondering when josh will strike again and I need closure." Rick nodded.

"Ok," he kissed her forehead, "I love you."

Kate kissed his lips softly, "I love you too." Kate stepped away and finished taking her pants off and got in the shower, and Rick left to go watch a movie with Alex.

The hot water ran down her back and Kate closed her eyes to enjoy the heat. It was soothing against her aching muscles and it eased her growing head ache. Not wanting to take too long, Kate washed her hair and them her body, letting the conditioner soak In. After her body was rinsed, she ran her fingers through her hair under the steaming spray to work the conditioner out, she was nearly done when she heard pounding at the door. Kate sighed, unhappy that her shower was cut shot and wrapped herself in a robe to go answer the front door, she figured Rick and Alex had fallen asleep or Rick would have answered the idiot pounding on the door by now. Not bothering to look to see who it was, Kate answered the door and stopped. "Why are you here?"

"Kate, please just hear me out."