Chapter 7 - Goodnight

*Amelia's POV* 

When I was a little girl I would sit on my purple and pink frilly bedspread, a gem-studded pen in hand, giddily laughing with some of the younger girls in my pack. We would spend hours drawing up lists about our future mates, dreaming of a day I had so long ago thought would never come. Staring into my mate's eyes now seemed almost like a fantasy and a nightmare all at the same time. 

"I'm sure you're exhausted after our little encounter earlier," he stated curtly. My pupils widened in shock. Where had the wall up but mysteriously Alpha gone? I took a deep breath before calmly explaining, "I've had a little time to rest since the initial shock wore off." 

Alpha Masons chuckled, his face still inches from mine.  "Shock? The initial shock?" I froze in my tracks while his words dashed through my mind. my eyelashes fluttered a few times before I opened my mouth to apologize, but for some reason nothing escaped. Was I really sorry for telling him how I really felt? Should I feel bad for voicing my true feelings to the man I would be with for the rest of my life? 

"I suppose it's unfair. How could I blame you from running from someone like me?" My heart sunk as I saw a wince cross the Alpha's features. Had he really just winced in front of me? Was he really brave enough to show vulnerability to a little wolf like myself? 

My gaze drifted to Luke's blank stare as he communicated with someone through his link.  I stumbled backwards as he abruptly stood, his arms wrapping around me before I could trip over my own two feet. Not long passed before Clara began to find our silence unbearable. A part of me wanted to ignore her incessant wining, but I also knew where my responsibilities would soon lie with my Luna title. 

Wait a moment... had I really just thought of myself as a Luna of a pack. The Luna of the 

"Is everything alright," I asked timidly. At first, I had anticipated an answer but was only served another curt nod. Alpha Masons looked to me before sending me a fake smile of reassurance. "There was a minor scuffle this evening on the pack border." 

For a few moments my mind was put at ease by the response of my mate before I realized how I hardly even know him. Would he really tell me the truth about the pack's affairs when we had hardly been acquainted? For all he knew I could still stab him in the pack at the risk of killing my own self for the sake of my pack. However, at this moment as he still held me, there was not a fiber of my being that wanted to admit Luke would ever consider lying to me. 

Luke took little time to release me from his hold, my mind once again drawing to our conversation earlier. "Rest, my little mate. We have much to discuss." The lonely feeling I had begun to dread began to creep up my small frame, endless thoughts running through my mind. 

"Wait," I called after Alpha Masons. He turned to face me with an eyebrow quirked. Did he do that frequently? It was like his perfect face was just itching to send a critical angle in my direction. I tried to collect my thoughts, but hopelessly began to compile my words in a messy heap. "Do you... are you... where are you staying tonight?" 

My mate chuckled deeply, the warm sound sending a comforting feeling straight to my heart. "What are you trying to say, Amelia?" The way he said my name started a fire in me that I had never felt before, my eyes training themselves on floor. I gasped as his pointer finger found its way under my chin, angling my face up. "Amelia," he spoke again.  

I turned on my heel and went to sit on my bed. "It's nothing." My arms folded around myself in comfort, Clara beginning to whine again. I yelped in surprise as Alpha Masons was suddenly standing directly in front of me. His eyes met my own in an intense stare while his arms framed both sides of my hips with his hands placed roughly against the sheets. "You will never walk away from me," he shot aggressively. My breath staggered as I struggled to comprehend how quickly his attitude had changed. 

"It is in both yours and my own interest that we share separate dwellings for the evening," he whispered hotly with his face only inches from my own. The warm air grazed my neck, sending a shiver ripping down my spine. Alpha Masons studied my face, the color fading from his own as he noticed the panic on my features. 

Pack Alphas never pled with anyone but their mate and little did I know this wouldn't be the last time Luke would plead with me to understand. "Don't look at me like that." 

At first the order came off as heated, but I quickly realized that it was the equivalent of begging from such a strong man. A tear trailed down my skin, taunting me as it escaped the emotional walls I had constructed over the years. I turned my face from Luke but was stunned when his lips graced my forehead gently. "Goodnight, Amelia." 

Just as quickly as he had made his way over to me, Luke departed from my room. There was not a bone in my body that wanted to let myself cry, but after such an overwhelming day it felt as though I had no choice. Expressing my emotions would only cause my mate pain, but the feeling of tears streaming down my face sent me sailing down a river of peace over my situation. 

If this would be the rest of my life,  then it would be my duty to follow his rules as I prayed he would follow mine.