Preface to 2nd edition

Bread magazine was published from September 1990 until early 1996.  Although 17 years have passed since this book was first published, having read through the stories and testimonies contained here they still seem remarkably fresh and relevant today.

Certainly, many people’s circumstances have changed, moved on, and several of those written about are no longer with us, but the power of God to change lives, to heal individuals and communities, is still the same, “yesterday, today and forever.”

All the stories in this edition were originally included in Bread magazine, which was published from 1990-1996.  These stories in particular were originally published in the magazine from 1990-93.  In the first edition we kept the magazine look – with photos and cross heads, etc. – and we have maintained that style in this edition also. 

The technology for publishing – especially for photographs – in those days was much more limited.  Unfortunately, we no longer have access to the original photos, so the quality is less than we would expect these days, but we felt, nevertheless, that the original photos help make the stories more personal, so we’ve kept them in, despite the quality issue.

We hope you enjoy these stories of God’s intervention in the lives of individuals and groups  throughout Ireland – and beyond.

Raymond & Gerry McCullough