49. "He'll hate you for this!"

Start from the beginning

Princess Jasmine showed a beaming smile and said: "Tell them about your first official request as a bearer of the eye."
The light blush on his cheeks deepened. "Did Sheikh Jabaar tell you that?" He cleared his throat. "Is that really necessary?" he fidgeted back and forth on the table with noticeable awkwardness.
She nodded. "To show how innocent your heart is."
Shyly, he looked at the floor. His legs dangled off the table and for the four who observed him he looked indescribably young and authentic.

"My first request was to Jared. He told me he had to do what I said. So I said, Stand on one leg, hit on your head with your left arm and turn circles on your stomach with your right arm." Tyler got up from the table and demonstrated.
"Of course he refused me in that ruler tone of his. Then I lost my nerve," Tyler said, smiling.
Gaith looked at him speechless. "That was your first request? No money or anything else?"
"No," Tyler said, looking the man in the eye.
"Why not? Why not now? You can get anything you want!" said Murtada fervently.
Sad, Tyler shook his head. "All I want, Mr. Benali, is what cannot be demanded, but needs to be given."
"So you sacrifice yourself," Princess Jasmine said softly.
"We all pay a high price for this peace," was his short reply.

"Both the judge and Nahir spoke very highly of you. It's so hard to imagine you're only nineteen," Murtada said. "You switch so effortlessly between shy and inexorable."
Tyler sat down. "I follow my gut. As I have explained to Mr. Al-Din before, I do not like violence, but I have no problems with applied pressure." He looked at the four seriously. "I hope it's not necessary for me to demonstrate this again."
Frugal glances were exchanged, followed by brief head shaking.
"If there are no other questions, I'll be speaking to Fleur before I leave," Tyler said. He walked to Marwon, but he didn't do anything until the man gave him permission. He could see the pearls of sweat in the grey eyebrows, but nothing was said.
"Do you want to take me in your arm, Marwon?" asked Princess Jasmine. "I'm experiencing some difficulty when walking."
"Of course, Jasmine," he said, and graciously offered her his arm.
Standing together, they walked away.

Gaith was holding Tyler's arm. "You have no idea how incredible that image of those two is. If you've accomplished that, you're a miracle worker."
Tyler looked right at him. "I have only given both parties my honest opinion, Mr. Mahfouz. They have done the hard work themselves."
"Like with us?"
Tyler nodded. "And your hard work starts now."
Together they walked on.
"I've noticed that the Al-Din family is looking for your opinion and appreciates your answers. Is that something we are allowed to use?"
Tyler hesitated. "I am at your disposal should such a situation arise, but I want to avoid unnecessary interference in family matters."
Gaith nodded. "And that's exactly why I'd like to hear your opinion. Thank you, Tyler."
With a handshake, they said goodbye.

Fleur just picked up the last piece of their conversation through the open door of Amir's office.
"Do you want to avoid unnecessary interference?" she threw at him as soon as he entered the office. "Then why are you stripping Jared of his birthright? Do you know what your actions will do to him?"
"Yes," Tyler said. "I know exactly what my actions will do to with him."
He grabbed her hands. "I'm taking away the only thing he shared with his father, and it will hurt him infinitely. He's going to need you, Fleur. He's going to need you to get through this difficult time."
Shocked, she recorded his expression, and the remorse in his eyes brought her to a startling insight. "You're in love with him," she said, shocked.

Angry, she ripped her hands loose. "Is this revenge because you can't have him?" she said starkly.
He sighed. "Believe it or not, Fleur, but this is separate from the feelings I have for Jared."
Fleur looked at him suspiciously. "And should I just assume that you have his best interest at heart?" Her voice sounded bitter.
"Fleur, you know him better than anyone. He fought for his own identity all his life. This is the sacrifice necessary to free him."
"From who? From me?" she asked sharply.
Tyler shook his head. "Not who, but what," he corrected her.
"Okay? What?" it sounded condescending.
"From the obligation to marry you because his family told him to do so. Now he can marry you because he loves you, Fleur."
She looked at him for a while. "How do you know that?"
He swallowed hard. "Because I asked him."
Despite her outrage, Fleur was not impervious to the pain in Tyler's voice.

"What are you going to do after we get married?" she asked cautiously.
The light in his eyes dimmed.
"You won't see me again after the wedding, Fleur. My obligation will stop as soon as I have expressed my blessing. Then I'll go my own way."
She took him incredulously. "We plan to rebuild the practice and live in Jared's house."
Tyler shook his head. "My part in your life is almost finished."
She grabbed his hand. "I love him terribly, you know," she said, overflowing with emotion.
"I know, Fleur. That's also the only reason I can let him go."
"We won't see you again?"
"You have my word." His last words sounded faint.
Fleur didn't seem to notice anything and left reassured.

Tyler felt his breaking point coming. Overwhelmed by all the intense emotions, he collapsed.