"Hey boys!" a voice squawks at us. "These seats taken?"

"By you," Spud smiles at them, gesturing for them to sit down.

I turn my attention to the two girls who've joined us. I'm taken back by how beautiful they are.

"I'm Spud," he shouts over the music. "This is Jake."

"Hi Jake," the blonde bites her lip, which I'm guessing is supposed to be seductive. "I'm Candice."

"Jules," the other girl chirps.

"What are you two lovely ladies doing out tonight?" Spud questions.

"It's Jules' birthday!" Candice explains. "We went out for dinner and thought we'd have a few drinks and hang out for a while."

"Awesome," Spud grins. "What are you drinking? I'll get a round."

They rattle off what they want and I tune back into the band. I came here for the attention these girls are willing to give me but I know it's not going to fill the void Callum's left in my heart.

A part of me is saying I should go home and try to forget about it all. Another, the more aggressive side of me, is saying fuck that, you're too young to feel this hurt and you need to not let it ruin your life.

"How's it going, Jake?" Candice asks me. "You're looking a little out of sorts over there."

Trying to talk with my throat this sore is not going to be fun. I lean in a bit closer to them.

"Sorry, I'm going through a pretty bad breakup," I reply, before switching my eyes to the other girl. "Happy Birthday, by the way."

"Thank you!" Jules smiles. "I'm sorry to hear that. That sucks."

"Yep," I agree, forcing myself to make small-talk. "What have you got planned for the rest of the night?"

They look to each other and shrug. "Nothing, really. You?"

"Nothing, really," I echo.

Spud re-joins the table and sets everyone's drinks down.

"Thanks man," I say as I reach for mine.

Spud's good at keeping the conversation rolling. I participate every now and then but he generally takes over, running the show. I'd rather watch the band, but I'm trying to tell myself not to be a dick.

When the girls exit for a bathroom break, Spud turns to me.

"So, I got those... party favours, on me," he says quietly. "You keen? Might offer the girls some?"

"Sure," I nod.

The only reason I wouldn't do it is because of Callum but I no longer respect his wishes.

"I live about ten minutes away and my parents are away for the weekend," Candice announces upon her arrival back to the table. "You boys in for kick ons?"

Spud grins, hitting his hand to my back. "Hell yeah we are."

***

I wake to the sound of someone vomiting nearby.

Squinting, I see Jules bent over the toilet seat. I wince as I try to swallow, my throat feeling like I've swallowed a scalding piece of metal. Turning my head, I see Candice tucked into my side, wearing nothing but the shirt I was in last night.

Spud is sprawled face-first into the floor, looks like he didn't even sleep in a bed last night.

I check the time, seeing that its ten a.m. We didn't go to sleep until about five this morning. I lost track of what happened last night, we weren't in our right minds. I remember snippets of Candice and I, but everything is so blurry that I can't recall the exact sequence of events.