two

#2

Maggie is my everything.
I, who was once stuck in the dark, is saved by her. Even though I am clearly not deserving.
No words can explain how much I love Maggie.
Despite of all my flaws, she wholeheartedly accepted me.

"Your jokes aren't funny, hahaha!"

"But you're laughing."

No matter how hard she tries to keep her self from laughing, I know she can't, because my jokes are her weakness. She's the only one who appreciates me. And I'll do anything for her, I am her slave.

"E-eli, you should go home." She said the other night, stuttering. I noticed her whole body is abnormally trembling, I looked her in the eyes and gave her a forehead kiss.

"What's the matter? It's too early. And what's making you so nervous?" I replied, with her in between my arms.

And there, she broke down. She's crying as she sat down on the couch, this view of her stings me on the inside. I can tell that she's scared. But scared of what? I don't even know.

"Tell me, what's wrong?"

"I-it's a long story, it's hard to explain."

"Say it."

I looked her straight to the eyes as she paused a moment from crying. "I saw something that I shouldn't see." And there, I froze. For some unknown reason, this line of her sent chills down my spine. "A-and now they're after me. They want to kill me."

"W-what?"

"E-eli, I told them that I won't tell anyone about what I saw, but they don't believe me. They will be here in few moments, please Eli, go home."

Maggie isn't the type of person that jokes about serious stuffs like this, she's different from me, she's not a prankster like me. So if she say it, I believe it. Even if she's lying and I'm aware of it, I will still and always believe her.

"Let's go." I said and grabbed her wrist as we both rash from her apartment to my car parked outside.

I drove as fast as I could, but I noticed a suspicious black car behind ours. In that moment, I knew that it's after us. After Maggie.

We crossed the the long bridge all the way to the other side which is a different city, trying to get rid of someone following us. Until the unwanted finally began.

We heard gunshots that are obviously aiming for us. Maggie, who is still begging me to drop her off and escape with myself, is still crying endless tears and trembling in fear. But no, I'm not gonna run away without her. If they want Maggie, they have to get her over my dead body.

A bullet destroyed one of my car's wheels and we have no choice but to get off the car and run for our lives. We're stuck in a spot where no one else is crossing, no street lights to guide our way, only the stars and the moon makes everything barely visible.

Maggie and I entered a huge abandoned building nearby, hoping that whoever the assassin is, won't have the guts to enter such place. But all that hope is just a silly thought, for we knew that he will find us no matter where we try to go.

"Come out, miss beautiful, I won't hurt you~" Someone said just near us, whom we knew is definitely the killer trying to get Maggie. He's just whistling all over the place, searching for us, for Maggie.

"Mag, please run. I will distract him." I whispered.

"No, Eli. I will never forgive my self if something happened to you."

"So do I."

I ran all the way to the killer, throwing stones at him. Everytime he raise his gun to shoot, I immediately hide behind walls. At that time, Maggie's safety is all I think about. I don't care if I die, I don't care about my life, I'm not a loss anyway, but Maggie. Maggie is different. She must be protected.

Clouds blocked the moonlight that caused everything to be zero visibility. I felt something touching the back of my head, and there I knew, I fucked up.

I already accepted my fate, if it is death, so be it. What matters is Maggie is safe and definitely far away from here now.

I closed my eyes as tears fell down my eyes. I clenched my fingers on both hands when I heard a sound of a gunshot. But in my surprise,

I'm still alive.

The clouds gets off from blocking the moonlight, turning everything barely visible. I slowly turn my back to see what stopped the killer from killing me and then—

"M-maggie."

She's just standing there. Holding her bleeding chest.

I glanced at the killer as he flashed a mocking grin to me. "Good night." He said as he finished Maggie by aiming her head.

I fell down on my knees, looking at Maggie's dead body. I can't breathe. I t-told her to run. Why, Maggie?

Suddenly, I felt a crippling pain on my right arm, he shot me. My body fell on the cold hard ground and hit my head that made everything spin around.

"You know, kid." He said while gripping my hair to force me to look at his eyes. "There are things that you shouldn't care about." He moved a few distance from me as he aim for my chest and pulled the trigger.

Memories flashed all over my mind as I fell helpless unto the cold hard ground. Recalling the moments of how I made Maggie laugh with my lame jokes. It happened again, the pain is here again, the same feeling when I lost my mom.

The dizziness I feel intensifies as everything went black.