Chapter Seventeen: Interrogation

Start from the beginning

The wind picks up and the rain falls faster, obscuring my vision. I lose track of time as I concentrate on pushing past the pain on my skin and the cramp developing in my back. The wind at my back helps push us faster toward our destination. I coast into the city of Albany and turn towards the coast line of the river. I pick up speed as we near the last stretch of land before we reach the factory.

"Drop down slowly, I'll take the agent when I reach the ground." Bucky says, startling me. As the factory comes into view, I drift downward before flapping my wings furiously in front of me to ease Bucky's landing.

"Tell me when to drop her." I grind out with a clenched jaw. I feel the weight lift as Bucky reaches the ground. Instead of giving the agent to him, I land beside him and cast a look out of the corner of my eye. "What was the point in dropping her down to you? It's a six foot difference from me landing." I say with annoyance evident in my voice not from the situation but from pain. I shove the agent's body toward him and I begin to work the soreness from my muscles.

"I'll get started on the interrogation." He says, brushing off my actions.

"Fine." I say shortly as I try to relive the cramp that developed in my lower back. The bricks on the factory are all but stable, some spots are bare and open to the world. The old metal door slams closed and I can hear Bucky tying the agent into place on the chair. I turn my attention to the tranquility of the river as he gets to work on her. I don't want to hear him extract information from her. Interrogations were never my favorite activity to do or receive.

I stand in the rain for hours trying to block out the sounds of her screams and his assault on her. I can hear each punch that lands on her skin. I can smell the sweat beading from her pores. I can taste the metallic scent of her blood as it seeps from her wounds. I focus on the deciduous trees blowing in the wind as the rain wrecks havoc on their leaves.  The rain swirls in the wind like a thick mist that caresses the branches of the trees. 

"Eden! Get in here, there's something you need to hear." Bucky calls out to me from inside. A shroud of anxiety hangs around my shoulders as I push the door open and step into the room. My eyes snap to the bloody, beaten agent. One of her eyes is swollen shut and she's bleeding from her cheek and forehead. She has scratches littering her body and her skin is covered in a sheen of sweat. She looks me dead in the eyes, her ice blue orb shining with hatred. I cut my eyes toward Bucky and express uncertainty as of why I'm needed.

"What-" I start before I'm interrupted.

"Tell her." Bucky snaps out at the agent. She looks at him defiantly and keeps her mouth shut. Bucky grabs her jaw tightly and her face twists in pain. She lets out a muffled whimper before jerking her head out of his grasp, and looks back up at me as she speaks.

"You could at least remember me." She says with disdain. I'm lost as to what she means.

"What do you mean?" I ask tentatively.

"My name. Milenda. Remember me? I took you from the museum. My partner Kable, you killed him at the storage facility. I've enjoyed hunting you down, watching your partner bleed... was euphoric." I clench my jaw in anger at her remarks. "You thought you could hide from us? We have agents EVERYWHERE."

"Get to your point." I say roughly, wrinkling my nose as my temper grows.

"Oh no, I think I'll take my time. Let's start with Tiffany. Don't you remember sweet little Tiffany from Forever 21? While you were shoplifting she was telling us everything about you. What you were wearing, what you stole, your hair color, and any disguises you could use."

"What's your point Milenda." Her name leaves my mouth with a foul taste.

"Oh use your brain you poor insolent child. We are EVERYWHERE. Who do you think we work for? Some poor company with no connection to your roots? Don't make me laugh. Do I need to spell it out for you? Griffon ANA. G R I F F O N A N A. Graffanino." She says with a sickening smirk growing on her lips.

"No, no you're wrong!" I say as the invisible shroud grows heavier with each passing second.

"Do you really think Giovanni didn't know you were coming? The man you asked for directions, he may look innocent but he's been an agent for Giovanni for years, even while HYDRA was still up and running. How do I know about HYDRA? Did you honestly think Giovanni didn't know you killed his father? He's been planning this for over a year. The bread he packed for you was poisoned. Your old outfit was coated in Ganesha." I suppose it's fortunate that I didn't eat the bread. 

"Shut up!" I yell at her. I tremble with rage and it takes everything I have not to snap her neck.

"Giovanni could never love someone like you, you petulant child. You're so predictable, it's embarrassing." She says egging me on, daring me to move against her and I fall into her trap.

"Then you already knew your fate." With a bellow of rage, I take her head in my hands and snap her neck with ease. I hear Bucky sigh behind me and I turn to face him.

"You know you did exactly what she wanted." He says from his propped position on the wall, arms crossed.

"I don't recall you stopping me." I return still angry.

"I got what I needed from her. That," he says lifting away from the wall and motioning with a finger between her and I. "was your battle."

"Yeah." I say looking down at my hands. I run through everything she had said again in my head. I should have known, I should have put it together. Giovanni worked for HYDRA so it makes sense that getting my file would have been something he was more than capable of doing. He has the connections and resources to make all of this happen. Everything points to him, I just don't want to believe it.

"How are you holding up?" Bucky asks me as he studies me from a distance.

"I'm furious, conflicted, and vengeful." I confess as I begin to pace the floor.

"Do you want to finish this?"

"There's nothing I want more."