Chapter 16 - Water 7

Lana's POV

As we approached the island that Aokiji had informed us off, we all looked on in awe. It wasn't like anything I, or the others, had ever seen. With a grand architectural design and gushing streams and falls, it was in all, brilliant and beautiful. It's beauty almost seemed too good to be true, for who knew what lurked within the backwaters and the dark alleys. Ever since then, I knew not to ever be deceived by what was portrayed to the outside world.

It seemed though the reservations I held about the island were only on my front, the rest of the crew seemed all too keen to deboard and explore. Their excitement was visible from a mile away with how they were behaving.

A perfect example would be Luffy who suddenly decided that it would be appropriate to start swinging around the ship like an ape whilst screeching in happiness. I walked up with crossed arms to the mast and looked up to where he was currently hanging, giggling to himself.

"Luffy get down here! We can't afford anymore damages to Merry, and with the way you're going, you're only going to break her." I yelled up, hoping my voice wasn't completely drowned out by the heavy winds. Thankfully he had heard me because he jumped down in response.

"I can't wait! I want a musician to join us" he was practically vibrating with energy in his spot, chanting his words over and over again as if that would help get his point across. Having enough, I quickly grabbed his shoulders, holding him in place.

"Okay, stop stop stop" He seemed to calm a little, though I could tell he was still struggling to contain his excitement. 

"If we're going to have anyone joining us here, it would be a shipwright. We can't keep depending on Usopp's repairs at this point on the journey if we want to get any further in the Grand Line. No offence Usopp" I added on as a second thought as I saw the sharpshooter passed us. 

"Hey! I've worked hard on keeping Merry going, show more appreciating why don't you?" Usopp commented as he walked by. I waved him off with little energy which only caused him to stick his tongue out in reply.

"We know that, but we need someone that knows what they're doing" Nami shouted from the upper deck, providing input. Placed beside her, in all its glory, was the large pile of gold we had humbly collected from Sky Island, a small perk from the atrocious adventure we suffered through. 

"So what's the plan?" I asked as I approached Nami on her perch, sitting on the steps close by as the others all came together to hear what we were discussing. Robin came to lean against the banister beside me, her book of the week clutched in her delicate grip. I wordlessly asked for the book, interested in what she was reading, which she handed over without a fuss. I looked over the novel as Nami briefed the rest, myself already having a faint idea to what she'd already decided. 

"I think Luffy, Usopp and I should go and exchange the gold. Chopper needs some more medical supplies so I think Robin should go with him for that, and Sanji needs to resupply on food. That leaves you and Zoro to guard the ship" Nami said. At that, I gave her a sceptical look, not fully happy with the way she had assigned roles.

"Nami, are you sure? Luffy wouldn't exactly have been my first choice to handle the gold exchange. I wouldn't trust him with just standing within it's vicinity. With his luck, who knows what could happen" I pointed out. Nami looked a little unsure at that but quickly strengthened her resolve. 

"Don't worry, we shouldn't run into any problems. That's why I'm going with them, to make sure they don't get swindled" Nami reassured me.

"If you say so" I shrugged still unsure about her decision but left it at that. I asked Robin if I could borrow her book during my guard duty which she simply waved off as she went to get ready to go ashore. As the others rushed about, preparing whatever they needed, I walked up to the kitchen hoping to find something to eat since the others would all be going, save Zoro.