Chapter 11 - Farewell Alabasta

Thanks to whoever voted for my story and is reading this. Thank you all so much, you all don't know how much this means to me.

----------------------------------------

Vivi's POV

The twittering of the birds on the nearby branches woke me up the following morning. I remained lying in bed for a while realising that the others would be leaving soon, if not today. They could not linger any longer considering the marines that had been spotted nearby sniffing about.

I still felt like wasn't ready yet. Deep down, I knew no matter how much happiness and joy did my adventures with the straw hats bring me; I wouldn't be able to go with them as the people of Alabasta needed me.

I would miss Luffy's insanity, Zoro's laziness, Nami's nagging, Usopp's well told stories, Sanji's uhh.... caring nature, Chopper's naive personality, but honestly I was going to miss Lana the most.

She was one of the people that understood what I was going through and she and the others helped me when I needed it most, despite the hardships they suffered because of it. Wiping the stray tears that escaped due to my emotional thoughts, I got myself ready for the day ahead.

Lana's POV

I groaned feeling something heavy sprawled on top of me and something really scratchy was rubbing at my noise making me sneeze. Ugh who threw their crap on me. 

As my vision cleared, I spotted Luffy beside me on the bed with his hat and arm resting on my face, his limbs every which way taking up a large majority of the space.

I huffed in irritation, throwing his arm off of me and placed his hat on the side table knowing that would be the first thing he would look for when he woke up.

I yawned and stretched, the satisfying cracking of bones echoing in the empty room. I stumbled to the bathroom that was connected to the guest room we were staying in and I started to make myself presentable. Standing in the shower, the fact the others would be leaving soon hit me like a pile of bricks.

I too had been here longer than necessary and the marines would sooner or later know that I had made a stop here if Smoker had not yet ratted me out. 

The choice of joining the straw hats still remained undecided, felling too conflicted to make a certain choice. Sighing, I got out and dried my short golden hair but seeing myself in the mirror, I noticed that it was no longer a golden blonde but more of a honey brown. Huh I wonder why. Shrugging away the change, I stepped out with my mostly dried shoulder length hair to be greeted with the crew and Vivi.

"Morning everyone" they responded with hi's and hello's, returning to what appeared to be a serious conversation. I placed my towel in a basket in the corner of the room and stood next to Zoro who was leaning against a nearby bedpost, noticing he wasn't paying much attention to what they were talking about.

"Hey" I spoke up and he turned to me motioning for me to sit down on the bed he was leaning against.

"Might as well sit down for this, it looks like it's going to take a while" I nodded to his words and took my place.

"Alright first matter to discuss, Lana will you be joining the crew?" Nami pointed out and every ones attention was brought onto me. Not too long ago I was thinking the same thing, but seeing as I was being confronted on the matter now, I would have to make my decision. Call me selfish but my... situation might sooner or later affect them if I was to join them, but despite those lingering thoughts, nothing else felt right other than joining.

"You could be our strategist, you're really good at that" Usopp pointed out and was supported by murmurs of agreement.

"Okay, I'll join" I answered, resigned at the eagerness the others showed. The thought of the repercussions my decision may have temporarily leaving me mind, choosing to cross that bridge when I got there in the future. Everyone had smiles at the announcement but soon lost them as we moved onto the next topic.

"Vivi, we both know that we need to leave but the question is, are you coming with us?" Nami asked and I turned to her knowing she was feeling conflicted with her choices, the frown giving away her uncertainty. 

"Don't worry. Whatever you choose, whether that be to stay or to come with us, we understand" I patted her on the back and she looked at me with a thankful smile.

~Time Lapse~

We showed our marks of friendship that were painted onto our arms which had not faded away, our backs facing Vivi who stood at the coast watching us sail further away. I could imagine the tears running down Vivi's face as she waved us off, her jovial shouts echoing across the sea.

"Now. Let's get away from these marines before they destroy us along with Merry" Usopp shouted receiving a cheer from everyone, with Luffy complaining how it was his job to order the crew but they ran to their stations nonetheless.

Sometimes they really did surprise me how they could be whining one minute then be all serious the next. Maybe that was the so-called straw hat effect, without a doubt the most unorthodox crew in the Grand Line. Not knowing where I was supposed to be, I just followed Nami to the upper deck considering she was the one that made most of the decisions around here. She examined the situation and I could see she was deep in thought.

"The only thing I can think of is heading straight out and hoping we don't get hit by cannons" she speculated. I knew it wasn't the best of plans, about to interject that a direct approach may not be so wise before spotting a patch of rough cliffs jutting out on the coast about 100 metres ahead to our right.

"Why don't we sail under those cliffs, seeing as this ship is smaller than the marines's, we should just about fit with good navigating. We would lose them faster without the risk of damage or injury" I mused, thinking that if the plan was executed right we could just about make it. Nami looked at the cliffs and she actually looked like she believed it was a good idea.

"Actually that isn't that bad and it might work. See, the power of a strategist" she smiled nudging me with her elbow and shouted the orders to the others getting them to change the ship's direction. We sailed by and I couldn't help but smile in satisfaction at how easily we lost the marines. I turned back and saw the others looking all depressed hanging from the upper deck with their heads stuck in between the railing, Zoro was just watching them from the lower deck with an irritated expression.

"What's wrong?" I asked hoping whatever they were upset about wasn't serious and going to kill us.

"We miss Vivi!" They shouted out and had this dark depressing aura around them.

"Come on, she wouldn't want you all depressed and sad about her choice, we need to be happy for her" I encouraged hoping my words would help.

"She right, but I'm slightly surprised that you hadn't noticed that you had a stowaway on board. I expected better from the ones who defeated a Warlord of the sea" we all twisted around to the unfamiliar voice to be faced with no-one other than Nico Robin. Everyone took a defensive stance apart from Chopper and Sanji as they hadn't met her yet, who only looked between the others in confusion.

"What are you doing here? You stabbed Lana in that casino!" Usopp shouted. I shrugged and walked up to her and gave her a hug. Everyone seemed surprise at my actions.

"Wow, long time no see" I chuckled holding her shoulders and she smiled. She exchanged words with Luffy about how he owes her for saving her life, and that he should take responsibility for his actions. He begrudgingly agreed to let her stay, his dissatisfaction evident with the pout on his face.

Usopp proceeded to interrogate her about her life and how she was acquainted with me but she managed to dodge his efforts, somehow winning most of everyone's trust, the keyword being most

Zoro was still being a cranky old git saying how he didn't trust her, brooding in the corner away from everyone. With a sigh at the clear dysfunctionality of the crew I had just joined, it was clear this going to be a long trip but I knew I was going to have the time of my life.