16↠ the thirteenth clan

Start from the beginning

     "Titus would probably love it," Lane said with a smile. "That man can't stand me."

      "He doesn't appreciate your jokes," yeah, Lane may have said a bald joke here and there to the man, but why did he have to hang it over her head? 

     Lexa had another meeting to attend, leaving Lane with the freedom to spend the rest of her day how she wanted. Well, until the summit later tonight which would definitely cause an uproar with some of the ambassadors that had no clue what to expect. 

     In her chest, Lane felt something pulling her to return with Kane and Abby to Arkadia after the summit, but if Skaikru became the thirteenth clan, Lane didn't know what would be expected of her. A deep longing for a certain place to call home entered her mind. Arkadia felt like the closest thing she had to a home because of her friends, but what about her life in Polis? Which one would she choose if she had to? 

     At the end of the hallway, Lane spotted Hagen. He stood with confidence as he talked to a group of guards. She guessed he was telling them their posts for the summit. Lane approached them, her stomach churning with sudden nerves. She was tired of the awkwardness and the silence. She wasn't going to let him get away with not speaking to her any longer. 

     His blue eyes darted away from the guards as she stopped with her arms crossed over her chest. An annoyed expression was present on Lane's face as she watched him send the group away.

     "What is it?" he asked. "I'm busy."

     "You've got to be kidding me," Lane let out a laugh of unbelief. "You didn't seem too busy last week. You were literally attached to my hip all day, and now you're not even speaking to me?"

     Hagen sighed, "Look, I shouldn't have let things go as far as they did at the waterfall. We got caught up in the moment, and that's all."

     That's all? Lane couldn't believe it. She actually thought that maybe he had feelings for her, "Okay, well I guess you won't care if I leave after the summit tonight then, right?"

     She saw a tiny hint of hurt bloom in his eyes. She knew he wanted to tell her to stay, but he was too proud to do that, "Do what you want, science girl. It's your life."

     Hagen started to walk away, but Lane said one last thing, "You don't have to pretend with me, you know," he kept his back turned to her. "You're pushing me away because what happened at the waterfall made you realize you can be vulnerable again, and you're afraid of that."

     A spark of hope that he would turn around flickered in Lane's chest, but after a few unsure moments, he left the hallway, leaving Lane with the lonely walls and her thoughts as she tried to ignore the painful clenching feeling in her heart.

↠ ↠ ↠

     When Abby and Kane arrived in Polis, they spent their time walking around the markets and taking in the grand sight of the capitol building. The evening rays of sunlight peeked into through the open windows, creating a peaceful warmth that Lane enjoyed. She waited for Kane and Abby as they were escorted up the many floors in the man-powered elevator. She was also brought news that Clarke agreed to bow to Lexa at the summit. Everything appeared to be going as planned. 

     The door slid open, causing Lane to turn her head as she saw Kane and Abby walk into the room. Both of them gave Lane a friendly smile. 

      "It's good to see you again, Lane," Abby said. "Have you talked to Clarke at all?"

     Lane nodded, "Yes, she should be here soon."

     Right on cue, the doors opened again, and Clarke entered. Abby's eyes were overcome with relief as she quickly walked to her daughter, embracing her tightly. Lane was happy for the two of them as she wished she could hug her own mother again.