As a group, we were all wearing maroon coloured sheets, whereas most people were in the standard white. Lena, on the other hand, was wearing a dark grey sheet.

"Thought we would try and be different," I reply, before taking a swig of my beer. "Where are you from?"

"Sydney originally, but I've been here and there for the past couple years. Hoping to stay in one place for now. That's my brother," she points out and I do a double-take. The boy looks pretty similar to Lena, considering I'm assuming they're twins. They have the same features except he appears to be a bit taller. "He's in the same class."

"Oh cool."

"What about you?"

"A small town from nowhere that no one knows," I laugh.

"Try me."

"Alwood."

"Okay, never heard of it," she laughs.

"Most haven't." I steal a glance back to where Jake and Spud were standing to find that they're no longer there. Bec is standing with another girl, chatting, but it appears Jake and Spud have left.

"Sorry Lena, I have to duck back to my room for a bit. It was nice to meet you."

"You too, Callum," she smiles. "Come find me when you come back."

The flirtatious smile she offers me makes me realise her intentions. I begin rushing back to my room. I'm just near the door, when I hear footsteps behind me.

"Where are you off to in a hurry?"

I groan. "Rhett, please don't follow me."

"You're not worried about that roommate of yours alone with your boyfriend, are you?"

"Stay out of it."

"So, you are?"

I whirl around to face him. "Stop stalking me, stop assuming you know what's going on and leave me the fuck alone!"

My teeth clench when I see how handsome Rhett looks.

Rhett's face softens and he takes a step towards me. "Hey, I'm sorry. You're obviously upset. I shouldn't have said that."

The door to my room opens and I hear Jake's laughter before I see him.

"What the fuck?" he exclaims. "How come every time I turn around, you're here?"

I turn my back to Rhett and stare at Jake, trying to find some sort of evidence that he's done what I think he has.

"What did you just do?" I question Jake.

"Yeah, Jake?" Rhett steps beside me and I side-eye a glare at him.

"Rhett, not that this has anything to do with you, but we are on totally different pages here," I snap at him.

"Why are you here?" Jake growls at him.

"I haven't said anything because I thought Callum should be the one to but fuck it, if you're treating him like this, sneaking around with his roommate or whatever the hell you're doing, then I don't care anymore. Callum and I made out – more than once – when we were overseas. It was just on the one night but it happened."

It feels like a weight has been dropped onto my chest.

"Oh shit," I hear Spud say.

"Like I'd believe anything that comes out of your fucking mouth," Jake spits at Rhett, his fists curling by his sides.

Jake finally moves his eyes from Rhett's. His face drops when he sees mine.

"No," his voice drops. "No, this... this can't be true."

"It is," Rhett replies.

"Okay mate, time for you to get out of here," Spud steps up, grabbing Rhett by the arm and dragging him from us. I barely pay any mind to them as I'm watching my boyfriend's heart break right in front of me.

"I've wanted to tell you... I tried..." I splutter pathetically, hot tears burning at my eyes. "I didn't know how. I didn't want to ruin anything we had..."

"I fucking knew it," he breathes, his voice quivering with each word. "I knew something had to have happened. You were gone so long... with him..."

"It was the worst mistake I've ever made. We were drunk – which is no excuse – and I–"

"Save it, Callum," Jake glowers at me and I flinch at his use of my full name. "You're fucking pathetic. To let that happen and then to not tell me for so long. I moved here to be with you, you piece of shit!" he fists his hair, the skin on his face reddening. "You've been by my side, talking to me about our future, when you've known you fucking ruined it all!"

I'm a sobbing mess. I can't breathe. I can no longer see. My body heaves with each word he throws at me.

"And by the way, I didn't do anything. I came back here to take a piss and Spud grabbed his stuff. Not that you probably believe it, with the look you gave me when I came out," Jake shakes his head at me. "I'm done. Fuck this."

"Jake!" I cry, reaching out for him.

He recoils from me.

"You know how I felt about him and you, you lied to me over and over saying nothing was there. This is the worst thing you could have done to me."

I fall to my knees as he walks from me. I've never felt this kind of pain before. I wrap my arms around my head and let out a scream.

---------------

Thoughts? 

Instagram: laurenj_22

Snapchat: laurenj_22

Tik Tok: laurenj_22