Chapter 10: We should be friends.

Start from the beginning

"Hey, can I please get a vanilla cone?" She said, keeping her eyes on the display of the ice cream flavours.

"Who was that?" She heard and finally looked at the vendor, her eyes widened when she saw it was Luke. He was wearing a silly pink apron and a hat that said 'I Scream for Ice Cream!' She couldn't help but laugh. He gave her an indignant look. "Hey! You work at a place called Coffee Jungle and I don't laugh about it."

"My coffee shop doesn't make me wear hats like that." She pointed at his head, then she changed the subject; "I didn't know you worked here."

"There's a lot you don't know about me, princess. Who was that guy you were talking to?"

"Don't call me princess. That's Carlos, he goes to Brickston, I think you guys are playing them in football this month."

"Why were you giving him your number?"

"Um, because he asked for it." She got defensive; he was being weird.

"When I asked for your number you didn't give it to me."

"You didn't ask for my number you stole my phone, and took my number." She emphasized. "Besides, It's not like you text me anyways." She regretted saying that the second his blank face turned into a smug smile.

"Wow Bennett, have you been waiting for me to text you?" He smirked.

"No." She blushed. "Shut up."

"Are you leaving soon? My shift ends in 10." He said.

"I don't have my car so no, why?"

"Let's hang out. I'm hungry, wanna get food with me? We can go through McDonald's Drive Thru."

She considered it. Mike hadn't texted her back yet and she was pretty hungry. "Sure. I'll go wait by that booth, just come get me when you're done."

He smiled. "Okay." She walked away to a table nearby.

She had felt weird after their walk at the party two days ago, but he was acting like it never happened so she was too.

She was scrolling through Instagram for a few minutes when someone tapped her shoulder.  "Ella! Hi!" It was Jessica and their other friend, Alexis. They sat down across from her.

"Hey guys!" She put her phone away. She was surprised at how many people she'd seen today within less than two hours.

"What're you doing here alone?" Jess asked her.

"I came with Sam, but she's with Ahmed." Ella said.

"Sam wouldn't shut up about him for a week straight. Finally." Jess exclaimed. Ella laughed; she was right.

" We were just on our way to go watch a movie, come with us." Alexis asked. Alexis was one of the prettiest people Ella knew, inside and out.

"Sorry guys, I'm getting food with Luke," she pointed at him at the ice cream place. He saw her and waved at them.

Jessica turned back around with a smirk on her face. "I thought you 'had no idea who he was.'"  She mocked Ella's words from a month ago with air quotations.

"Well he's nice and we hang out sometimes." Ella defended herself. "I just didn't know him that well then."

"Isn't he fucking hot though?" Alexis gushed. "I know I'm sort of with Devon but you can't deny Luke is hot."

"...I guess." Ella said. She really couldn't deny how attractive he was. She found herself constantly thinking about him.  "Yeah but it's only been like 4 months since Calum and I broke up."