Jackson's Mom

Jackson's POV

My mom opened the back door, her eyes landing on Piper and me lying in the grass with our fingers intertwined like vines.

I sat up, eyes wide with nervousness.

"Jackson!" My mom yelled. "Who is this girl?"

The girl beside me sat up quickly, startled. Her red hair brushed against my cheek, making my skin tingle with excitement. We both bounced up off the ground.

"T-this is Piper, mom."

Piper walked over to my mom and shook her hand. "Why didn't you say your own name?" Mom asked, crinkling her black eyebrows.

I walked up beside her, ready to explain, but the red haired girl beside me beat me to it. "I'm mute," she signed. "By the way, I am not Jackson's girlfriend. I don't think I would be interested in dating him at all."

I jokingly put my hand over my heart. "Ouch, that hurt my heart!"

Even in the night, her smile glowed like a million fireflies.

My mom laughed so hard she snorted. "I like this girl!"

Piper burst out a giggle, making us all laugh a bit harder.

"Want to come inside?"

Piper's POV

My feet stepped inside the comforting gray house. At first, I felt nervous to meet Jackson's mom, but once I looked into her warm brown eyes I felt like this was my second home. Jackson walked in after me. He did not exactly walk in; he floated in like he was attached to a balloon. Was it because of me?

If so, I think I was floating too. My feet would not touch the ground.

Jackson closed the door, letting the nighttime darkness escape while he flipped the light switch. His warm brown eyes that he got from his mom crinkled as he smiled. "Want to eat dinner here?"

Suddenly, I realized how late it was. How would my aunt feel about me staying out late?

Not wanting to risk my aunt getting terrifyingly mad at me, I asked what time it was.

"10:30." Jackson's mom said looking at her watch.

"Want me to drive you home?" The mom said, while at the same time Jackson asked if he could walk me home.

"No, thank you. I live close by, so I'm fine walking home alone."

Jackson's mom's eyes filled with worry. "Honey, why don't you let either Jackson or me walk you home?"

I sighed. Jackson looked at me with round, pleading eyes. "Okay, Jackson. You can walk me home."

"Yay!" Jackson signed.

"Thank you, Mrs. uhh—Mrs..."

"Bloom," she said, smiling. "But you can call me Iris."