Her Name is Piper

Written by gracembags

The sun was shining brightly when I walked up to the entrance of the high school. There were butterflies in my stomach when I entered Room C102. It's a writing camp, and I love writing, however, it's a new, nerve-wracking experience for me.

"Alright class, please take your seats," Mr. Cooper, our journalism teacher said. Chairs were filled, computers were turned on, and everyone was ready.

"I hope you had a great school year. It's already summer so let's begin our work," said Mr. Cooper who was holding his hands together. There were three student helpers near him. One of them, Lexie had blonde hair and hazel eyes. The other two, whom I don't recognize, had brown hair and brown eyes. They all seem like they're going to be seniors.

I'm facing the front of the room while Mr. Cooper explained the LEAD of diction and syntax. When it's time to work, I turned my chair to the right to face the computer and then I saw someone's hair that caught my attention. Woah! Her hair was brown with red highlights. Her eyes were ocean blue. But there was something unfamiliar - her mouth wasn't open and chattering away like all the other girls. No, her mouth was completely shut.

I noticed that she was typing her name on the screen but I didn't want to disturb her, so I went back to my own work.

For the next three hours, my heart was pounding. Why did she make me feel this way? What am I feeling? How will I handle this?

Finally, I turned to her and said, "So you're new here? What's your name?"

She turned to the sound of my voice and I stopped talking all of a sudden. Our eyes locked. There was an awkward pause. And silence. Then, she brought her right hand up and signed, "Piper."

Piper. Piper. Piper.

"My name's Jackson. I'm deaf and I-I know sign language too, I took it as a class in my freshman year."

Piper nodded but didn't smile or sign more. She turned back to her computer, so I decided to leave her alone.

That's the first time we ever met.

***

Tuesday
6/05/18

Dear Diary,

I can't believe this happened. I went to the writing camp at school, and that deaf boy that I saw the other day was there too! How did it even happen? How is this possible?

I was really nervous and didn't want to look at him because if I did, he would figure that something was wrong with me. Like I'm mute. But he did ask me several questions. His name is Jackson.

I guess it was awkward. But I will never change myself. I will be mute forever. I was exuberant when he understood my fingerspelling.

-Piper