Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

The day my life changed; the day my world turned upside down and I was thrown into a world of unimaginable pain, anger and adventure that all started when I was driving in my old red truck-like car by myself, down all the twisted roads that were in my old hometown, towards the school. It was 1 degrees in Cleveland that day and the snow was ten times thicker than my World Almanac book but my car was surviving and forced its wheels to keep turning through the white slush that coated the road that fought to slow it down.

I was wearing my dark blue cashmere coat that complimented my golden blonde hair, and under it was my favourite red t-shirt that said 'WTF'. I was also wearing my black skinny jeans that hugged my long legs with a matching pair of white snow boots that have been protecting my feet from the harsh weather that surrounded Cleveland like thick smog.

When I arrived at the old brick school building with its white roof, I almost skipped to my old, red, rusty locker and put the books I had left at school (because I had no homework for the lessons), in my rucksack. There is something that you should know about my old self; I used to believe nothing in the world could hurt me... I always had energy to get through the toughest days. But like myself now, that is all gone and is only left as a memory, a whisper, and a myth.

҉

I went to form and sat down in my assigned seat.

My form room was in a science lab full of stools made from old wood and there was a chalk board on the far side of the wall. The school I was in then wasn't very high tech but it was enough to pass your exam, however this school really needs to update its interior!

It was a start of a brand new school year Miss Andrews said the same thing she does each year I have been here for.

"Okay, I'm going to put you guys into threes. Each individual is required to find a value that fits you personally-" Miss Andrews was cut off by a knock on the dark wooden door, which caused everyone but me in the room to snicker, I just sat and rolled my eyes at their childishness. She was only interrupted; it is not like she had a face plant with a custard cream pie.

Mrs Alvin, the school headmistress, peaked inside until her eyes were looking at me. Her beady dark brown eyes drilled into mine for a second before she looked back at Miss Andrews.

"Sorry for the interruption, can you please excuse Ms Bane here?" Even though it wasn't really a question, Ms Andrews still nodded her head at Mrs Alvin. "Lyla please come with me." she said, with her voice full of authority. The teacher nodded, looked at me and flashed me a warm smile but when I looked back at Mrs Alvin all I saw as sympathy deep in her eyes. I followed her to her dark mahogany furnished office that had caramel walls; I was throwing questioning glances at her as we walked through the echoing halls. She sighed, obviously noticing my glances.

"Your brother's here" She said and once again gave me a look of sympathy and pity, which only caused me to glare at the ground. I always hate it, and still do till this day, when people take pity on you and treat you differently because of an act of destiny.

Ryan, my older brother, had left home after he had graduated from high school. He was a freshman in college at that time, taking his degree as a lawyer that everyone in my family seems to have done. He was going to an elite private school, that was really hard to get into, and left his old life behind. He stopped talking to anyone of us in Cleveland and worst of all he didn't talk to me anymore. The last time we spoke was through FaceTime on Christmas day last year, even then he only spoke for about ten minutes and then said he had to go...Let's just say it ruined our brother-sister relationship for good,

When we got to the cabin like office, I looked at my brother. He looked the same since he left; tall, very built up with a dangerous look about him. His eyes are a very dark brown -almost black- that made him look eerie when paired with his very dark brown hair.

"What do you want?" I hissed, letting all the anger that has built up over my brother to be let out in my words. "You do realize that you hate us, right? Your family!" With every word I spoke I got more worked up. He looked taken aback for a second but his eyes were now filled with hurt, regret and sadness.

"Mum and Dad's anniversary was today, right?" He asked, in a very quiet voice. As I looked closer I notice that he had dark purple bags under his eyes and the rim of his eyes was red shot, like he had been crying. Thinking about his question I nodded my head slowly, not seeing why I had to be here and I wanted to just go back to Ms Andrew's form room. 

However: there was one thing that I had never expected my brother would do; he broke down crying on the leather chair he was sitting on in the headmistress's room. I looked at Mrs Alvin in what must have been a shocked look. She came hurrying to Ryan's side and comforted him with calming words.

I stared in shock. I had never seen my brother cry before then, and even now it is rare, but I have never seen him do it before that. Not even once.

"What's going on?" I demanded with my eyebrows furrowing. I had started to get fidgety because of how confused I was and how nervous I was regarding what the answer to my question would be. 

"He...She...They...Our pa-rents di-died i-in" Ryan struggled the words out. "a-cr-ash when t-they ce-lebrated their Ann-iver-sary!!" He broke down into louder sobs.

I froze.

Is this a dream? Yes, maybe it's a dream. I've never seen him like this before.

I pinched my arm to make sure this is reality, hoping that this would be a dream.

Ow...

I felt a trickle of tears slide down my face. I was so upset that I needed my brother to comfort me, so I ran to him and hugged him tightly. I cried uncontrollably knowing that the two people I loved are no longer there. They're no longer there to pick me up when I fall down.

҉

Once I had calmed down, Ryan told me that I was going to live with him in a rich village in New York. We had to drag ourselves to his rented car in the car park to drive home to pack my belongings.

After about an hour of packing there was a slight knock on my oak door. I told myself it was Ryan, because there was no one else in the house. It couldn't be anyone else.

"Come in." I said softly through my sore throat that had been sobbing not so much earlier.

"We aren't going to the funeral this Saturday" He said. His eyes were puffy and red like mine. I didn't think about how weird it was not going to my parent's funeral back then as I was just too tried to use my brain properly.

"Oh okay. When are we leaving?" I asked hoarsely. I guess another reason why I didn't mind that much about not going to my parent's funeral was because it would be too hard to see my parents in their deathbeds.

"In about ten minutes. You ready?"

"Yeah." I whispered softly. I closed my second suitcase and watched my brother pick up two of my hand held bags that had been stored under my bed until then. I grabbed the handle to my pink medium sized suitcases before closing all the doors in the house. One by one. Just like they say; you close one to door to just open another.

I took one last look at the house, where I spent my entire childhood growing up in that house, locked it behind me and crawled into Ryan's car.

҉

We arrived at the newly built airport after what seemed like hours of silence that was tense and awkward. We grabbed my bags and went through the different security sections and showed them the tickets and passports that Ryan had already sorted for me.

On the plane journey it was a quiet ride and me and Ryan didn't speak - or even try speaking to each other. That was all except from the little kid, who sat to the right of me. He was around the age of seven, and babbled about the birthday presents he had gotten from his parents.

The kid didn't know how lucky he was to still have his parents around.

"-my favourite gift of all was from my dad! It was so cool! I think it was Xbox! And mom was angry at dad for buying it for me because I was playing it all day! Can you believe that?" The blonde-haired kid babbled. I only smiled and nodded.

Kid, you have no idea, you are sooo friggin' lucky!