9 ⤃

Malai had just finished the painting

She had no clue what to do with it until she went to a coffee shop with Byungchul the next week and saw an add for an art auction.

She had told him about it and he seemed almost more excited than her, acting like a small puppy who's owner just came home from work.

"That's great Lai," he said reaching forward and grabbing her hands. "I'm sure people will buy it! Uhm what is it again?

Malai sighed.

There was another problem with Byungchul. He had no awareness for other people and had no sense of concentration. He couldn't focus on anything or remember anything.

"I already told you Chulie," she said, "it was a mixed media of maps of Seoul and Bangkok with breaking chains."

She finished her short explanation but saw that he had already lost focus and was staring at a group of people.

"Byungchul," she said snapping her fingers in front of his face. "Do you know them?"

"Huh," he said, "oh uh no."

Malai sighed.

It hadn't even been three weeks yet, but she already felt the newfound joy of soulmates waining out.

The rest of the date was mostly Malai trying to make small talk and Byungchul attempting to pay attention.

Why did it bother Malai so much?

She was his soulmate. She should be able to handle this.

She could handle her parents for 23 years, why couldn't she handle the love of her life for a single month?

Walking home seemed to be tiring so instead of heading straight back, she made a quick detour to the grocery store. There she picked up a pack of gum and a Red Bull. Then she headed to the karaoke bar she made sure to go to at least once a week.

Walking in she immediately went to the bar and sat down on the stool.

Waiting five minutes, she glanced at the stage where a familiar man was on stage rapping a cover.

"Yeah I know right," Johnny said sliding over to Malai. "Taeyong is eye candy isn't he."

"Wait what," she said spinning around in her chair to be face to face with Johnny.

"Taeyong... he's attractive?"

"Wait as in Lee Taeyong," Malai said.

"Uhm yes," he said rolling his eyes.

"As in like the guy who's inheriting a company," she said.

"Duh," Johnny said, "it's a shame actually. He really wanted to become an idol when he was younger, parents didn't like that idea so they forced him to give up his dream. Don't you think he's pretty good though?"

"Yeah..."

So maybe Malai was wrong about him.

Maybe not every other business heir loved their future. Maybe she wasn't alone.

"I can call him over if you want me too," Johnny said, "well that is after he's done popping off."

"Uh sure."

Soon enough Lee Taeyong was bouncing over to the countertop, a large grin on his face contrasting his persona from when he was on stage. Now he had Big Baby energy while on stage it was... big demon energy.

"Hey Johnny," Taeyong said slyly as he slid in to the seat next to Malai.

"Hey," Johnny said coming over with a smirk on his face. "This is Malai, she thinks your cute."

"JOHNNY SEO," she yelled practically loud enough to be heard over the loud music. "NOT WHAT I WANTED TO TALK TO HIM ABOUT!!"

"That's what they all say," the tall man said as he grabbed the pack of gum Malai was desperately throwing at him.

"I have a soulmate remember," Malai mumbled before turning to the man next to her.

"I don't know if you remember me or not," she said, "but I just wanted to know why you let your parents weigh your decisions and dreams down."

Taeyong's smile disappeared while she only continued to gaze at him.

"Who are you," he said, the girl quickly realizing that an hour meet and a new hairstyle and piercing would make her less familiar. Another point was that she was speaking in Korean.

"Malai Wongsaraya," she said, "daughter and heir to the Wongsaraya Company, and you supposed to be co-worker."

Taeyong's eyes grew wide as her words sunk in.

"Wait your that girl from the lunch-in," he said, "but she went missing- oh... oh wow."

Malai nodded as she smiled.

"I had a chance and I took it," she said turning to look at Johnny who seemed practically wiped out. "Dyed and cut my hair, pierced my lips, ran to a different country, dropped out of school, and I'm currently living my dreams."

Taeyong looked down.

"Glad your free," he mumbled.

"But you can be too," she said.

"My family doesn't have another option like you," he said, "I'm an only child, I have to be there. I don't mind being in business I just sometimes wish I had a way to live my own dream."

Malai nodded.

"You won't tell anyone I'm here right," she said before looking at Taeyong.

"Never."

And with that they exchanged numbers.

Aight so more character development on Taeyong