Chapter 15

Audrey walked into the cottage "I never thought of myself as mean." She sang quietly, "And I always thought I'd be the queen." She started to laugh wickedly. She looked around the cottage "Can't believe mother lived here for sixteen years." She said. She walked around for a while "Yeah, this will do for a while. No one will find me here, and if they do I'll escape." She says to herself and laughs again.

Meanwhile, on the Isle, Mal was doing the rounds with Uma and Evie. She was making sure everyone was alright and if they needed something they only had to ask her. Mal was worried about what would happen to her people if Auradon kept coming back. Closing the barrier wasn't an option. She would trap herself and her people on this Island. That's what Auradon wants. Evie saw Mal and walked towards her "M?" She says. Mal snaps out of her thoughts and looks at the blue-haired girl "Yeah?" She says. Evie puts her hand on Mal's shoulder "Are you okay?" She asks. The purple-haired girl nodded "I'm fine." She says. Evie glared at Mal "M, talk to me. You're hiding something, what are you thinking about?" Evie asks. Mal glanced at Uma who was helping a kid "The Isle is in danger, we don't know what Audrey's up to and Ben is keeping a close eye on us." She starts, "I have to guarantee their safety but I don't know if I can." Mal tells her best friend. Evie sighs "You're thinking about closing the barrier, aren't you?" She says. Mal shakes her head "No, I mean the thought has flashed by but that's not how we do this. I'm the queen, there must be something I can do to protect them!" She says. Evie cups Mals face in her hands "You will figure it out. We have more power than they do." Evie says.

Mal shakes her head "No we don't. Look around, E, I can't even change this island into a proper home." She says. Evie glares at her friend "But you are trying. You're leader, M, and they know that. You can't give up now, they need you." She says. Mal sighs "I know, Carlos and I are doing everything we can...but Ben...I should've killed him when I had the chance." She says. Evie shrugs "Maybe but we don't know what would've happened if you did." "Things would be a lot better if I had." Mal says quietly. Evie sits down with Mal "If Ben had died, you and Carlos wouldn't be together right now. Jay and I wouldn't be together...our kids wouldn't even exist." She says. Mal looks at her friend "Or we managed to get the wand and hand it over to my mother. She would've destroyed Auradon." She says. Evie puts her hand over Mal's "And we wouldn't be as happy as we are now, I heard you and Carlos a couple of days ago and-" She starts. Mal covers her mouth "That's enough." she says giggly. Evie giggles and hugs Mal "Ben will learn his lesson eventually, and hey if he marries Audrey he might forget about you." She says. Mal laughs "Hopefully that day will come soon."

*Time Skip*

Mal walked back towards her bedroom. The door creaked open and revealed Carlos already fast asleep on the bed. Mal smiled at the sight of him. He looked so peaceful. That's when Mal started to get flashbacks...

"What's your name?"  

"Carlos...Carlos De Vil" 

 "Dog Boy huh?"     

"I thought you liked me"

"I don't love her, I love you!"

"You almost died!" 

"he pushed me"

"He will pay for this"

"Y-You are a dragon"

"Cotillion...I won't marry him!"

"RUN!!!"

Mal snapped back to reality "Everything we've been through...it was Ben. It was always Ben." She whispers. She sits on the edge of her bed and strokes Carlos's cheek "I will keep you safe, Puppy, that's a promise." She whispers and kisses his lips briefly. She changed her clothing and lied in bed. She sighs "Actually I should thank him...without him, we wouldn't have been here right now." She whispers. Carlos wraps his arms around her in his sleep "Mally." He said. Mal giggled and closed her eyes