Chapter 25 - The long sleep

I was back in my room, dark and alone. I hated this place. It was a castle from the outside, but on the inside even though it looked lavish and grand. It felt more like a dungeon.Where some twisted king had set up a series of games, testing its peasants, to see who was worthy of living, I even had my own weapon now, all of us did. What were we supposed to even do with it? Were we really going to battle each other? Closing my eyes, I dropped to the floor. I just wanted to leave this place, to return home but it only bought back memories of all those children who died and was left behind!What were we going to do tomorrow? Just how many tests will we have to overcome before they let us go?I had never heard of a prestige school testing their students like this. It was as if we didn't make the cut. Then we were to be let go.I wished I had stayed at the orphanage. I wished I had never left with Lisa. Then I wouldn't have to go through all of this.There were so many questions I wanted to ask, but the teachers were going to answer. Did these tests happen every year? How did Lisa and Giovanni even pass the test?I need to get my mind of it, flipping the light on, I left the weapons at the door and drenched myself in a warm hot shower.There has to be something I can do to stop this. I couldn't bear to imagine more children year after year being bought here and doing the same test. Maria had always told me that if you had a strong belief in something, then you were halfway there. I need to think of these tests differently. I need to understand how it worked, I need to find a way to stop it from happening, and I need to survive!I was scared, no. I was terrified, but I was determined to find a way out. This gave me a surge of energy. Turning off the shower, I returned into my room. Still drenched, I looked towards my bed and grabbed the soft linen that was left there.It was at this moment that I noticed a white envelope placed on my bed with my name on it.Who could it be? "I am sorry, Evelyn.For putting you through all of this.If you are reading it right now, then you have made it, you have passed the first test.I promise to make it up to you. But I need you to survive. You can do it, I believe in you.Tomorrow you will..."I scrunched up the piece of paper and threw it to the side. It was a letter from Lisa. How did she even get into my room? How was she going to make it up to me? I didn't believe a single word she said.I was here all alone, no friends, no family, and all the teachers were thinking of different ways to kill us!I had to look out for myself. It was nothing like the life I imaged after leaving the orphanage. I wished I was happy. I wished I was charming like before, and I wished I was still that little girl back at the orphanage. But I was not. I had to be stronger, I need to be tougher, and I need to be able to survive all of this!