Chapter 18 - Aftermath

I couldn't believe it. We had actually made it.Zac was lying flat on the floor, face first, one arrow sticking out of his leg, one sticking out of his arm, and one sticking out of his chest.This was not happening. He could not have died, no way. I refused to believe it. I reached out touching the arrow sticking out of his back. Warm crimson blood drenched my hands."Zac!" I screamed, but it was not helping he was gone. He was dead. He had risked his life to save mine. Why had he been so stupid? Why did he try to protect me? I lunged towards his body, grabbing his arms and flipping him around. "Zac!" I screamed again and slammed my hands against his chest. Wishing the arrows had not hit his heart. And as if on cue, he let out a wailing screech as he took a deep breath, he was moving. I could just make out his chest coming up and down. Zac was breathing. Tears filled my eyes as he coughed dirt out of his mouth. "We made it Zac. We made it." Lifting him up, I went forward and hugged him tightly, feeling the warmth of his chest and wrapped my arms around him. This was the best feeling ever. "I wouldn't do that if I were you. You might accidentally kill him." There was a familiar voice, coming closer, was it the nurse? It was. She lowered herself next to me. Unclamping the trap. I could feel warm blood trickling down my legs, but I was free. "Come on, stop hugging the poor kid, you're probably doing more harm to him. Let me look at your wound." "Don't...Don't worry about me. Have a look at Zac, his got arrows stuck in his body." "Have it your way." She moved to Zac, pulling him up, she whispered something to him and stuffed a cloth into his mouth, the last thing I heard before Zac screamed was three and just like that the arrow was ripped out of his chest, and as if she was a professional, she wrapped a plaster around his body, and he was done. She then turned to look at me, moving closer. I pointed my fingers out onto the field, there were still so many kids that had been struck with arrows sticking out of their bodies, but alive. "Sorry girl, I can only help those that have made..." "But...but.... they are dying, can't you save them?" "I could, but I won't." Her eyes locked into mine. "It's a test. Let me clean your wound before you get an infection." How could she do this? There were still so many children running for their lives, the floor was covered with dead and injured boys and girls, blood splattered across the floor, and even the river had turned into a murky brownish colour, arrows still shot through the sky, aimed and striking the children. I wished there was something I could do, I wish I could run out there and save them, I wished I could somehow pull them to safety, but I was powerless. I closed my eyes, but all I could see were the dead bodies everywhere, covering the floor, red smeared everywhere. Arrows were sticking out of the living, the dead and the floor. It was like watching as if every second was a nightmare that just wouldn't end. I wanted to get out. I wanted to go home. I wanted to be with Maria. A loud scream rang, my eyes shot open, and there clamped to the floor was another kid.I had to save him. I snatched the key and shot out.