Without waiting for an answer, Grace took off to the room. We followed her back. She walked to the IV bag and plugged in the vial. The bag turned a milky white and started going through the tube to Amelia's arm. 

It was all quiet at first. Then , Amelia started to scream. Her back arched as her limbs stretched out. Her head started to whip around. Grace lunged forward and seized her head to keep her from harming herself. Ron came forward to help, keeping her steady. Ashley stayed next to me, her hands over her ears as she watched Amelia in horror.

"What is happening?" I asked. My voice was barely audible over the screams.

Grace looked to me with wide eyes. "Honestly, I don't know."

The screams stopped as suddenly as they started. Amelia went still, laying on the bed. Grace and Ron slowly took steps back. They watched as Amelia just laid on the bed. Grace reached over and felt her neck.

"Her heartbeat is very faint." She said. Tears welled in her eyes as she looked her over. "God, please let this work."

A cough came from Amelia. Slowly, her eyes opened. They were clearer, but still not clean. The black veins under her eyes faded down to a light blue. She looked over at us.

"Hey." Amelia croaked. "Is it over?"

"Not yet, sweetheart." Grace smiled and stroked a piece of hair off of Amelia's forehead. "But we're on our way. Do you want to see your mom?"

Amelia nodded. Her eyes went to me. She smiled, "Hey Steve-o. Thought you got out of our date?"

"I wouldn't wish it for the world." I smiled at her.

I felt a relief raise in my chest. One thing was going right. Finally.

"I'll get someone to bring Andrea up." Grace nodded. She then looked to us. "Can you two come with me to my office?"

"Of course." Ashley nodded.

Together, we walked out of the room and down the hallway. Grace was quiet for a bit. Instead of taking us to the elevator, she took us to the stairwell. And we went up.

"Your office?" I asked her with a soft smile.

"Just saying 'the roof' seems too sketchy." Grace waved a hand. "Plus, I just really need to take a moment with fresh air."

She pushed open the door. A gust of cold air sent a shiver down my spine. We stepped out onto the roof. Next to the helipad, there was a dark red stain from Hawkeye.

"Parkview." Grace said, walking to the middle of the helipad. She kicked at a piece of debris. "It's not too far from here. It's an old mental hospital. He was there for a bit before they sent him to a place with higher security."

"So he's really taking us through his old stomping grounds." Ashley snorted. She crossed her arms tightly, pulling the leather jacket tightly around her. Her eyes stayed on the treeline. "When are we going?"

"I can't go with you." Grace said softly. She looked down at the helipad before meeting our eyes. "We are so close to getting this cure. There are people in this hospital and people out there that are infected. Hell, we're all infected already. We just need to finish the trials. Then we can get it together. Ron will go with you and you guys can form a task force to go find Max. Can you do that?"

Usually, this might have been a lot to ask of two high school seniors. Now, we're the best candidates to do so. Day one ground zero squad to the rescue.

Ashley nodded, "Of course we can. But, is Ron okay to go? You don't think he'll... lose control with Grimes?"

"Max will too." I added. "But she's already there. Maybe Ron and Max can help keep each other in check."