40 - heart of gold

Start from the beginning

"You, ma'am, are way too cocky" I joked, and to my delight, she softly laughed.

It's a good thing to hear. Kinda sucked to hear it in a graveyard in front of her father's grave, though.

I notice her mood change after looking at her father's name on the gravestone, so I try to make her feel better again.

I admit it, I'm soft for her.

No, I'm not.

Okay, maybe I am.

It hurts me whenever I see B sad, so screw being nervous — B's happiness is top priority.

"But really, if I'm being honest, you look really beautiful today." I told her before realising that she might think that she's beautiful today, unlike other days.

"I mean, you're beautiful every day, but it's just that I th—" I'm cut off by the sound I loved to hear the most; B's soft, sweet laugh.

I smile to myself, knowing that I got to make her laugh even just for a little bit.

I turned to see Alice looking more lonely than I've ever seen her be, staring at her husband's grave as tears were threatening to leave her eyes.

"Hey, do you wanna go see how your mom is holding up?" I ask her.

She turns to look at her mother who was trying hard not to cry.

"Yeah, sure," she replies before approaching both our mothers.

"Hi, mom," Bea says while putting an arm around her mother's waist and putting her head against her shoulder.

Alice averts her eyes from her late husband's grave for the first time since they all got here.

She turns to look at her daughter and caresses her hair before looking back at the gravestone before her.

I caught B's eye and gave her a reassuring smile before going to my mom.

"I think they're gonna be alright, don't you?" my mom asks me while glancing at the two.

"I'm pretty sure they're gonna be fine," I answer her. "Those two are one of the strongest people I know, they can get through anything."

B E L L A

"Are you okay, mom?" I ask as I lift my head from her shoulder.

She wipes a tear sliding down her cheek, and she gives me a bittersweet smile, "I'm fine... I just miss your father, that's all."

"I miss him, too."

Her eyes shift to Maggie and Billie approaching us.

She gives them a grateful smile, "Thank you so much, both of you."

"Oh, Alice, it's nothing," Maggie brushes off. "We know how hard this is for you."

"It is," mom admits. "I just... I can't believe he's gone now..."

"He was the love of my life, he still is. I just wish I could talk to him again one last time," she frowns. "Seems just like yesterday when we first met..."