40 - heart of gold

Before we start this chapter, let's do a short recap...

In the last chapter of Smile, Billie, Maggie visits Bea's mom. Billie stays in Bea's room, and they start a heated make out session, until Maggie accidentally barges in.

Talk about awkward.

Now on to Chapter 40...

40 - heart of gold

B I L L I E

Just as I'm about to make my way lower down B's body, we hear the door creaking open. "Billie, Bella, we're–"

My mom's eyes widen as she processes the scene in front of her.

"Oh."

My heart stops as I quickly get off B.

A wave of deep embarrassment hits me as I feel my face heat up and turn red.

Oh fuck.

This cannot be happening. This cannot be happening.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry—!" I hear my mom immediately apologise. "I didn't mean to— I shouldn't have— I, uh..."

I couldn't look her in the eyes, but I could feel the intensity of her piercing stare pointed at me.

"Billie!" she reprimands as I automatically snap my head up towards her, and I'm met with her disapproving glare.

"Maggie," I hear B shyly say as she puts some space between us.

I look at her, and she sheepishly smiles at my mom.

"Bella," she nervously smiles at her. "I'm... I'm sorry, I really am, but uh—"

She's interrupted by 5-year-old Josh entering the room, followed by B's mom.

Heat fills my cheeks some more.

I look at B and she's just as flustered as me — if not, more.

"I..." I hear Alice start as she gives a faint smile, "...I've decided to leave the house for once."

B's eyes widen as her face shifts to happiness, "What? Really? Mom, that's great!"

She softly smiles at B, but after a while, her eyebrows slowly furrow into confusion, "...Hey, are you okay? You look red, and your hair's all messed up."