perfume bottles left on your windowsill/water has memory

today i listened closely to the shell you picked out for me at the beach we visited last year, the shell was beautiful by the way (much like the way you laughed, or the way you told jokes). it reminded me of just how much you knew me and what i loved.

when i pressed the shell against my ear i heard the ocean (i heard the waves) and she told me, "you should see the way he looks at you when you aren't looking, the way he smiles his gorgeous little smile like you're the light of his life" (you would've loved her voice, it was all the things you loved about mine, just without the southern twang that i hated about it myself). and it's like she read my mind (or maybe she was just as in love with the memory of you as i was).

so when she spoke the words i was begging to hear one more time, i set it back next to the last remaining bit of you i had: the vanilla and peony scented perfume you left on the windowsill (the one you used because it was the way your mom smelled and you didn't care to smell "feminine" even with the incessant teasing from your friends).

that was the day you left for the heavens and never came back (the day you left your perfume on my windowsill). and so i wrote this letter to you because i felt it was the last bit of sanity i could bare to lose to you and not get anything in return.

((so if anyone finds this letter just know i am with my one true love, happy and smiling and full of ocean eyed glee))