an ineffable trip down memory lane/carve a smile out of pain

i took a trip through your mind and when i came back up i was never quite the same. every new detail i found in the crevices of your memories - of how you remembered certain dates at libraries or coffee shops and lazy days on the couch sipping tea from wine glasses - the deeper i regretted letting you walk out that door. it's indescribable - the pain i felt when i realized that you saw me the way i never could see myself (with such rose filtered glasses, showing only the beautiful and glowing parts) or the way you thought of me in the dandelion sticking out through the cracks of the pavement. it's indescribable - the pain i felt when it suddenly occured to me that i felt the same way as you, except my love was three years too late and yours was left at the curb when you walked out the door (and out of my life). but i tried to carve a smile out of my - /your/ - pain. tried to move past the way that i learned to love you, the way that i hurt you, the way that i lost you (the way that the world lost you). but i couldn't, no matter how hard i yearned to. and so every night before the sun sets - right as the colors of the bleeding sky began to fade into a deep aching blue - i sent a wish up to you. a wish up to your set of wings grown from the blades of your back, floating through the heavens above, and up to the halo for a crown sat atop you wildly untamed hair. a wish up to you up in the clouds, hoping maybe it'd one day get to you. hopefully this time, not three years too late.