Chapter 3

Emily's P.O.V. ~

I walk to the passenger seat to see Alan walking up, wearing his shirt that matches mine. He brought us these t-shirts for the trip down here. They say 'Weather Forecast: Mostly Drunk.'

"Em! You're wearing it!" Alan smiles.

"Of course I am, Al. You bought it for me." I smile widely.

He pulls me in for a hug and I giggle, hugging him back. When he pulls away, he looks toward the passenger door.

"Um, Em?" He says, softly.

"Yeah?"

"Can I sit in the passenger seat?" He looks at me.

"Sure, Al." I smile.

I open the door and climb into the back. Doug drives to the Elementary school where Phil teaches and Eli attends. I watch the school doors, waiting for Phil. He's my best friend, and I always get excited when I get to see him. I hear Alan as he starts to talk, even though I don't really pay that much attention since most of my focus is on watching for Phil to coe=me out the school doors.

"Ahem, do you have to park so close?" Alan asks, hiding his face with his hand.

"Yeah, what's wrong?" Doug asks, looking toward him.

"I shouldn't be here." He looks at Doug.

"Why is that, Alan?" I ask, softly, glancing at him.

"I'm not supposed to be within 200 feet of a school." He explains.

"What?" Doug asks, raising his eyebrows.

"Or a Chuck E. Cheese."

I look back to the door to see Phil walking out.

"It's the weekend, Budnick. I don't know you. You do not exist." He says, putting on his sunglasses.

"Phil!" I climb and jump out of the car

He looks up. "Em!"

I run over to him and he drops his bag. I jump into his arms. He catches me and chuckles. I wrap my legs around him and my arms around his neck. He hugs me, holding me close, spinning a little.

"Are they dating?" I hear Alan ask.

"No, Al. Just best friends. She's been working so much, they haven't been hanging out." Doug says, smiling.

"Hey, Phil." I whisper.

"Hey, Em." He whispers.

He squeezes me once before I put my legs down. I giggle and go back to the car. He smirks. I jump in the back.

"Nice car!" Phil says, throwing me his bag.

I put the bag at my feet after scooting over to the middle.