The Promise

Lady Kimberly Weatherly was beautiful, sassy and smart, but she could not understand why he didn't want her. She stared at him across the table while he explained about the plantation. She smiled pleasantly and asked him about his life at sea. "I have yet to travel the world," she announced.

Dimitri excitedly told them about his business-life at sea, making sure he censored what was inappropriate for the tender ears of gentlewomen. He then invited Lady Kimberly to see the ship, sometime, and directed a remark at her father. "If you don't mind, sir, my escorting your lovely daughter. If you wish you could send along a chaperone."

Sir Weatherly nodded, "Very well, it would be a pleasure for you to court my daughter."

Dimitri, who was sipping wine, nearly choked. A maid-servant in waiting served him more water. He smiled amusingly, unprepared for such an offer. He stared at his grandmother who was basking in joy. Inclining his head, he added, "I would be delighted, sir."

Lady Noelita was excited about the announcement and forthwith proposed a toast amidst spontaneous cheering.

While he ate, Dimitri thought of the conversation he had with Siwhetta days earlier. He had not visited her room but had ensured that she was supplied with her basic needs: fresh water, clothing, food. He thought of seeing her that evening, aroused now as his mind dwelled on pleasurable memories of her.

Sir Weatherly's boisterous laughter drew Dimitri back to the dining room.

"These people are animals. We did them a favor by enslaving them," someone said, adding to the conversation.

Everyone agreed except Dimitri. Lady Kimberly asked him about his thoughts on the matter but he said very little. He chose, instead, to continue telling them of his plans for the estate. Lady Kimberly spoke fervently about one day owning slaves just like her father, and running her own estate. She maintained that slaves were meant to make people's lives a lot easier. Dimitri nodded and eventually changed the topic. The night dragged on until people began retiring for the evening.

"The night was exquisite," Lady Kimberly mused holding Dimitri's arm intimately as he walked her to the door. "I look forward to our courting," she added, blushing. Dimitri only smiled and bowed. He watched her board their carriage and waved goodbye.

Upon re-entering the house, Leonard called, "Care for a drink, brother?"

Dimitri stopped, anxious to leave but decided to join him for a while. "Yes, of course." They strolled over to the privacy of the entertainment room and chatted at length over a few rounds of gin. When they finally retired, it was almost dawn.

Dimitri walked silently to the servants' quarters. He knew that Siwhetta would be asleep but he wanted her in his arms, with his lips on her soft skin. He entered the room and found it in complete darkness. As he approached her bed, he stumbled over the night stand.

Startled, Siwhetta woke, heart palpitating. "Is that you, master?"

Dimitri detected the sound of fear in her voice and quickly reassured her. "Yes, it is only I." He approached and joined her in bed.

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Tired," Siwhetta returned. "Tired of staying in this room all day."

"It is for your own good," he replied.

Siwhetta was not satisfied. "I need to be out in the open air. I can't remain here all day. I will go crazy. Please," she whimpered.

Hearing the distress in her voice, Dimitri's heart softened. "I shall send you an escort daily to take you wherever you wish to go."

An escort? Siwhetta was exasperated. Never before had she ever experienced such confinement, except for her life on the ship. She had always lived a life of freedom and now it has all changed in such a short span of time. She could not believe that she now needed an escort to walk around. She inquired, "Why are you doing this to me?"

He could not believe her question. "I am trying to save your virtue, woman!"

Siwhetta gasped, "I have no virtue anymore; you never gave me a choice."

Dimitri snapped, "Women are being taken advantage of here and I don't want you to be a victim."

Siwhetta was livid. "You raped me, over and over again."

Dimitri, in his defence, pointed out, "Siwhetta, I have never mistreated you. You do not know how terrible those men are out there. They will hurt you. They will do things to you that I have never done. I do not want you to get hurt."

Siwhetta hissed, "There are girls out there who are younger than I am. They are just children. How do you expect me to feel knowing that they have to face such horror?"

Dimitri was silent. He knew how hurt she was. She was very caring about her people. "How can you help, Siwhetta? There are hundreds of slaves here."

She answered, her voice filled with agony, "I am my people's healer, I heal them when they are sick or hurt. I take care of them and this makes me feel like I am making a difference."

Dimitri was curious, "A healer? How did you learn such a skill?"

"My mother," she explained, "she was also a healer. She taught me everything I needed to know. I was the daughter of a chieftain and a warrior." She sighed feeling nostalgic as she remembered her mother fondly.

Dimitri pulled her to him and whispered, "That's very noble of you."

Siwhetta tensed. She could not relax in his arms. "When you saw me with Kee, I was just returning from a visit to his son who was burnt badly by a slave patroller. He had placed the poor boy's hand in a pot of boiling water."

Dimitri let out an expletive under his breath, "How old was this boy?"

Concern was evident in his voice.

"Eight years old," Siwhetta returned, painfully. "Over the past weeks, he was healing wonderfully, but since I have been confined under lock and key for days, I have not been able to watch over him and Kee..." She stopped, her voice cracked and she began to sob. "Kee is now probably dead because of me and this poor boy will never see his father again." Siwhetta slumped into Dimitri's arms and cried uncontrollably.

Touched, Dimitri sighed and stroked her hair tenderly. He felt remorseful. "I will let him out, I promise you. Everything will be ok." He gathered her into his arms protectively and kissed her forehead.

Siwhetta inhaled, "You will?"

Gently, he wiped away her tears, "I promise."

They remained embracing for a long time. Dimitri realised how much he cared for her. He wanted her to be happy. He would have liked to make sweet, passionate love to her before dawn but, instead, he chose to comfort her that night until she fell asleep like a baby in his arms.

***