"Very well. As the victim, I permit you to defend yourself. But let me tell you, my judgement won't necessarily change. The evidence of your misdeeds are in my hands!"

Alvira narrowed her eyes, her fists clenching hard on her dress as she curtsied, "Thank you for the opportunity, Crown Prince."

Seeing all of the noble's attention was on her, the woman started, "Let me introduce myself first, I am Alvira Rosamund, the eldest daughter of Duke Franc and also the future Crown Princess. However, before my identity as the future Crown Princess, I am first and foremost, Prince Marvel's fiancée. It is beyond my right to be aware of the girls that are attracted to him and monitor them just in case something unpredictable happens.

"...It just so happens that one of them is Miss Lily Edkins, who was the new student of our school and was born from a common birth."

Alvira directed her gaze towards her.

Being called out into the public, the petite lady hiding behind the crown prince shrunken her neck, her deep black eyes revealed anxiety and confusion.

"Now, I don't dare to bully students just because I've known her feelings towards my fiancée. I believe that every student in our school has the right to like and love anybody they want. Everything is fine up to that point. However, the problem lies afterwards. That woman, Lily Edkins is your typical naive young lady, but sadly, she is an ignorant student. Knowing the man she liked has a fiancée, it doesn't stop her from pursuing the man even after knowing it was the Crown Prince!

"Simply put, she lacked awareness of what a common birth is allowed and not allowed to do."

"As a good senior, of course I had to teach her about this knowledge, yet.. what did she say?"

Alvira's eyes narrowed dangerously, her pitch black eyes bore down on the petite woman like a viper looking at their prey. The smile hanging on her lips flattened as they disappeared without a single thread of joy.

"'You're just jealous of me because I'm close with the Crown Prince.'"

"'I'll show you how I manage to steal your man under your nose!'"

"Hahaha..! Such mocking statements coming from a commoner!" Her sharp laughter filled with heavy invisible spikes, yet the surrounding people watched on with heavy gazes. Their lips were shut as their backs sweat unknowingly.

Her voice low and dark as she coldly stated, "It must be fine for me to put her back in her place isn't it?"

"No..!" A crisp and pity-inducing voice came out suddenly from the petite woman who had stayed silent for the whole conversation. "I didn't say that! You're lying!"

Streaks of tears ran down on her beautiful face as her backs were hunched, her bright lovely eyes brought concern from the men that surrounded her. "Although I rejected your offer, I clearly remembered that I said thank you to you! Yet why did you slander me like that?!"

Her knees gave out, slumping onto the floor as her small body heaved with heavy breaths, crying pitifully.

"I'm sorry, Alvira. I swear I didn't know that you like the Crown Prince too! There were a lot of bad rumors about the Crown Prince and you in the school— how the two of you are not in a harmonious relationship, so I thought that you hated him.

"If I could, I would really give him back to you... but you know how love is— I fell in love too deep this time! I really couldn't give up Marvel for any other man! I love him with all my heart! Alvira, please, can you please give us your blessing?"

Marvel saw his lover crying while confessing her love to him. His heart was touched and the feelings for his lover solidified. The remaining guilt directed at Alvira was immediately extinguished in an instant.

Marvel pulled Lily to his arms, his voice soothing and gentle, "Lily.., don't cry. I'll give her the punishment she deserves, okay?"

Alvira watched the whole schadenfreude with calm eyes, but only herself knew how heartbroken and disappointed she was inside. 

Me? 'Like' the Crown Prince?

Alvira gave a sad mocking smile.

How could she...

How could she describe my feelings with a simple word such as 'like'?

The feelings that I have for that man for the past 17 years of my life— how I have waited day by day, night by night to be his Crown Princess— his wife.

Ever since that day that I got betrothed to him, I was so beyond elated that we could spend the rest of our lives together.

'Like'. Can such a simple word describe how I feel?

The amount of effort I put into to be equal with him, for that man to notice me. The things I did for him while he's playing off with some other girls, and the pride that I put down so I could please him!

Yet she said I 'like' him?!

Me, Alvira Rosamund, like him?!

Is that woman mad, or is she ignorant?!

"Alvira, I shall soon talk to the emperor about our disengagement." Marvel said, with deep hatred in his eyes, "Guards take her away!"

As she was forcefully dragged further away from the room, Alvira watched her fiancée pull the woman into his embrace, a gentle smile hanging on his lips as he looked down on her. The man's actions were tender and full of love.

It was a side that she didn't know. A side that was completely foreign to her.

Heartbroken beyond help, what remained inside Alvira was a hollowness in her heart.

Something snapped inside her mind, her sanity collapsing minute by minute.

She couldn't remember how she got dragged out of the party, nor could she remember how she got home.

All she wanted to do was close her eyes and hope that everything was anything but a nightmare.