As he pauses Sam tries to mask her pain and hurt with a stoic expression. But she can’t pull it off the same as Adrian. She doesn’t have that much experience or talent. Her feelings show on her face and right now, for him to break up with her in public not only infuriates her but also kills her. She keeps quiet, biting back the tears. If she so much as opens her mouth right now, they’ll all come flooding down her cheeks and she refuses to cry in front of her colleagues from her boyfriend breaking up with her. She’s tougher than that.

“-Because…” he continues on, but Sam just wishes he’d just shut-up. She’s had enough. She’s heard enough. She would run, if her legs weren’t frozen in place forcing her to endeavour the rest of his criticisms of her.
“-Because someone so beautiful, kind and passionate deserves all that in return.”
“Wh-what?” she chokes as his words suddenly take a completely opposite direction and her mind’s left in a muddle, trying to unwind the loop he’s created. Her eyes go wide as he steps towards her, placing a hand against her cheek.
“I can’t promise you a perfect relationship or an easy future but I can promise you always be loved, respected and listened to.” He steps back, reaching in his pocket to bring out a black velvet box.
Sam’s fingers tremble at her parted, gasping mouth. All around her there’s silence but she can’t hear anything anyway as her focus is solely on the man knelt before her with his heart on his sleeve, while her own heart races.

“Ade…” she whispers.
“Marry me,” he states opening the box to reveal the most beautiful and delicate piece of jewellery she’s ever seen unprotected by windows or boxes. The diamond ring is intricately decorated with a larger centre diamond to resemble a rose and it’s far too much for her. That very thought snaps her back to herself and she places her hands back at her sides while quirking a small grin at him.
“Are you asking or demanding?” she quips back sassily.
But Ade doesn’t miss a beat as he grins straight back at her with sparkling eyes and honestly says, “neither. It’s a challenge.”
As a quiet rumble of chuckles break out around her, Sam too can’t help but bite back her laugh.
“As if I can resist them,” she replies with a roll of her eyes.
“I know,” smirks back Ade, rising to slip on the ring and draw her in closer. Her arms wind around his shoulders as his rest at her hips.
“That’s sneaky,” she murmurs.
“I know,” he replies and before she can protest any more about his tactics, his lips slant across hers in a short, sweet kiss as cheers and claps roar behind them.

Sam squeezes Adrian’s arm in reassurance. She can tell he’s getting antsy and although he doesn’t let it show in an obvious way, the slight twitching of his fingers is a giveaway. As is his arm wrapping around her waist, dragging her slowly towards the exit in a strategic fashion. After his proposal the Chief had dug up some non-alcoholic champagne and the drinks had been circulated around the station, while Sam and Ade too circulated, receiving the congratulations of Sam’s colleagues. Last but not least is the Chief, who although has only well wishes for them, expresses it in a very long speech.
“Thank-you for cooperating in this Chief,” nods Ade referring to the set-up.
“My pleasure, son…After all, I’m sure Sam will only be marrying once,” he responds, with a sharp shake of Adrian’s hand. Ade although raising an eyebrow at the clear threat, doesn’t say anything to defend himself. Instead, he’s just thankful that Sam now has the rest of the day off. A day that gets shorter by the minute…
“Well, we’ll be going then, Chief,” interrupts Ade.
“Oh yes, of course, go enjoy the afternoon and weekend. But I do expect you back in Monday, Torres,” warns Chief to which Sam only mumbles a ‘yes’. She’s too busy wondering what Adrian has planned.

“Home? You took me home?-”
“Yes, were you expecting me to take you somewhere else?” he replies.
Sam blushes slightly. Although Adrian’s public proposal was somewhat romantic, she just expected him to carry it on-which is stupid because Ade is really not a romantic. And even she’s not a romantic….or at least, not that much of one. But she still grew up watching Disney films and somewhere in her, she does want the sweeping heartfelt gestures, the gushy complementary words, and the materialistic gifts.
“Because right now, the only place you’re going is bed,” he states firmly, his voice dropping octaves to a deep, lustful baritone. As he sweeps her over his shoulder, she can only gasp; and with her own craving for him, her protests of being carried are subdued.