Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Sam hadn’t thought his text would have any value to her but as she wakes up the next morning with her backside still sore, she finds relief in her moisturiser.

Not even one foot through the doors of the station and Briggs almost crashes into her. She takes a breath back and assesses him with confusion and concern from his flustered state.
“Oh finally, you’re here Ma’am. Chief was just about to ring you-”
Just as he says that, Sam’s phone starts playing the same generic ringtone the phone company had set. She pulls it out to smile slightly at the irony of the situation.
“I’m here Chief.”
“Good. Get your ass to my office now,” he gruffly commands before hanging up. Sighing, Sam does as she’s instructed and makes her way straight to the Chief’s office.

As Sam enters Chief’s office, she tries to stifle the smile that threatens to overcome her features from seeing her boss back to his regular moody self again.
“What’s going on Chief?” she asks lightly taking a seat in the chair opposite him grimacing when she feels a sharp sting shoot from her bottom. 
“That drug dealer witness you had, what was his name again?”
“Danny,” injects Sam her eyebrows furrowing as she wonders what’s going on.
“Well...looks like he’s not getting a trial after all, at least not here,” sighs Chief.
“What? Why? The asshole was trying to prostitute underage girls!” cries Sam. Sure she feels a little bad for what happened with ‘Glitter’ but the fact of the matter is, he’s still scum and nothing’s going to change that.
“I know, look Torres what I’m saying is...he’s dead.”
Sam freezes but the words register.
“What?!” she explodes, how is that even possible? He was being kept in one of the station’s holding cells at least until they've definitely got no use for him. 
“Murdered by some drug dealer arrested last night.”
Sam’s still perplexed, “but how? He would have been stripped and search for weapons first.”

Chief grimaces and shuffles in his seat, “this guy didn’t need a weapon for someone like Danny. Look, I’m thinking that for someone to go to such extreme lengths to get rid of a guy like Danny, means someone really wanted him gone.”
“You think it’s Santiago?”
“...Pretty much. Which is why I’ve managed to squeeze you 10 minutes interview time with him before he gets shipped off.”
Sam nods curtly, “right, thanks Chief.”
“Sure thing. In some ways I guess this is a good sign. It means Santiago’s feeling the heat; he’ll get sloppy soon enough....Let’s just hope whatever Danny had on him, wasn’t all that necessary.”
“Yeah, I don’t think it was. But why, get rid of him then? That’s what I don’t understand. Danny’s nothing to a guy like Santiago. I mean, sure he’s seen his face but we already know what the guy looks like. So...what did Danny know, that caused him to panic?”
“No idea kiddo. And I guess he won’t be able to tell us either...You can have the interview in a few minutes, I’ll come get you.”
With another nod, Sam rises up and exits the Chief’s office. It’s only when she’s outside she registers the slight stinging of her ass, from sitting down for so long. However with so much work to do she’s hardly got time to focus on the pain.

Her aim was to do some paperwork before the interrogation but with this niggling feeling inside her she can’t bring herself to. As a cop, she’d been taught to tune in with her instincts and since they usually brought something useful to her, Sam doesn’t try and ignore them, well, at least for her work. So when she felt this urge to go back to the scene of the crime, ie. the cell, she marches on ahead.

Sam stares at the open, empty looking cell. It just looks the same old, expect for the scuff marks on the floor. There’s the same plain grey walls and long cushioned bench, nothing extraordinary. Nothing glaringly out of place or...God, then what is it? Sam just can’t shake the feeling. She paces around, her eyes scrutinising every inch of the floor, walls and even ceiling, but with no luck. Sighing she pauses and wishes her unease would settle.