Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

"Jen, you read the book right?"

Jenna nodded wondering where Tyler was going with this.

"Was the last page missing even when you saw it?"

Jenna thought back to the book and then slapped her forehead.

"Oh my God. Yes! How could I forget! It ends with the sentence - this curse can be broken.. And then the rest is missing."

Tyler turned to Francis.

"If you were unsuccessful in destroying it the first time, then how are you going to do it now? We have no more information now than you did earlier."

Francis stayed silent for a few minutes. Tyler looked at him expectantly waiting for an answer.

Finally he spoke,

“Go home for tonight. Sleep well and I will mull over this. By tomorrow morning, I will come up with something. Make sure that you’ll rest well because tomorrow is going to be difficult. More difficult than you can ever imagine anything to ever be. Be here by 8.30 am in the morning.”

Jenna and Tyler quickly bid goodbye and rushed out to the car. They reached home and wordlessly went to their respective rooms. Each of them more worried than the other about the day to come.

                                                                  *

The night was pitch black and the air around her was ice cold. Jenna looked around her but for miles and miles could see nothing but emptiness and eerie outlines of trees. She walked forward undecided which way to go. Finally she decided to turn right.

The road was empty. There was no one in sight. She didn’t know where she was going but something told her that she needed to keep going forward. Something cut her foot. She looked down.

Where did her shoes go?

She knew that she was wearing them earlier.

She smelt blood.

Blood from her feet.

An eerie howl sounded in the distance.

Déjà – vu!

The entire situation seemed eerily familiar. She had had this dream before. It had felt so real the last time. It felt even more realistic this time.

She knew she couldn’t stop now. She began running forward. Her feet hurt but she refused to stop.

The only sound that she could hear was the sound of her bare feet slapping against the ground and that of her labored breathing.

And all of a sudden there was two of everything.