Chapter Twenty One

As the evening sun started to set, a cool air began blowing around the town of Bedhill. Its citizens downed their shop shutters and headed home to their families.

Tyler hoped out of his car and began helping his dad unload their luggage. They had gone over to the next town to visit some relatives. A pointless visit since all his cousins were too young and all the others were too old to be any fun. The entire time, he couldn't get his mind of Jenna. He knew that Paul had stayed with her but that provided him no respite. He wished he could have stayed behind and comforted her. He could only imagine what she was going through and he felt so helpless that he could do nothing to ease her pain.

"Yohooo!" A cheery voice interrupted his thoughts.

Looking up, he saw a smiling, wrinkled face waving out to them happily.

"Betty!" His mom exclaimed and went over to greet the old lady.

"How are you? We haven't seen you around for sometime now."

"Well," the old lady gushed, "My nephew is in town and I have been spending most of my time with him. He has come home after so many years and we just have so much catching up to do! His escapades I tell you! Sometimes his stories are too horrifying for my old heart to handle."

May laughed and beckoned Tyler over. "You remember Tyler don't you?"

"Of course I do! Little Tyler.. My goodness, you've grown up so big! You should come over to my house sometime for tea. I would love to spend sometime with you'll."

Tyler nodded and smiled, "We would love to ma'am."

"Well then, it was great meeting you but now I need to run off home. Its almost dinner time."
And with that, Betty scuttled off towards her home, leaving an amused May and Tyler to finish unloading their luggage.

                                                             *

Michelle stared at the window in front of her. It was shut tight. Although the house was silent, she knew that she was inside. She also knew who was inside with her. This wasn't how it was meant to be. He was not part of the plan. His presence spoilt everything.

She needed to be there inside now.

Not him.

Michelle continued staring at the shut window.

                                                         *

Paul carried a tray with some toast and cheese upstairs. His culinary skills were next to zilch and he hoped this would suffice. He pushed the door open and saw Jenna sitting on her bed staring at a picture of her, her mother and father. He placed the tray on the table and sat down next to her. Jenna looked up and gave him a small smile. It was evident that she had been crying.

Paul pulled her into a hug and they just sat there in silence for a few minutes. The silence was interrupted by the sound of knocking on the balcony door. Startled, they looked at each other. Paul got off the bed to go and see what was making the sound.

"Don't open that door!" Jenna yelled.

"Why not?" Paul asked her in surprise.

"Just don't. I've padlocked that door ever since we moved here. Weird things have happened. Just don't open it please."

"Okay Jen, calm down. I won't open it, if you don't want me to. Now, are you hungry? I made you some toast."

Jenna nodded and picked up the tray. As soon as she did that, the tray began rattling in her hands.

"What the hell!" She exclaimed.

Her bed began shaking violently and she was thrown back on to it.

"Paul, what's happening?" she screamed.

 "I don't know! I can't move," Paul yelled back.

It was as if he was stuck to the floor. He couldn't move an inch. He watched Jenna helplessly as she was repeatedly thrown back against the wall. Her screams tore his heart, but there was nothing he could do.

The lights began to flicker and then they went off. The room was filled with darkness. At once, the bed stopped shaking. An eerie silence descended, broken occasionally by Jenna's soft sobs. In the darkness, Paul could just about make out her outline hunched on the bed. He tried to move again but it was useless.

The light flickered on again. There was a loud thump at the balcony door. Both of them stared at it fearfully. The door began to shake. It was as if someone was trying to kick the door open.

"Who is there?" yelled Paul.

No reply but the rattling just grew louder and more violent. The door began creaking at its hinges, ready to give way any second.

"Paul, I can't move. I'm stuck," Jenna screamed hysterically as she tried to get off the bed.

Before Paul could even reply, the doors finally broke open and the lock came hurtling towards him and smashed into his shoulder. He fell down to the ground, groaning in pain. His blue shirt slowly began turning a bright shade of crimson.

"Paul look out!" He heard Jenna yell and just as he turned to look at her, a huge chunk of wood from the broken door rammed into his stomach. Clutching his stomach, Paul struggled to his feet. A strong wind blew through the open balcony door causing both of them to shiver. He hobbled over to Jenna to see if she was okay. He almost made it to the bed when a gust of wind blew him back against the wall. He flew backwards, hit the wall and then it was as if an invisible force held him up there. He tried thrashing around but it was to no avail. He just could not move.

The temperature in the room began to drop till it was freezing cold. A sinister laughter filled the room. Paul looked at Jenna. She was trapped on her bed, blood was trickling down the side of her face and her eyes were wide with fear. A low whisper floated through the air.

"Pauliee..." followed by the wicked laughter again.

Paul looked outside through the open balcony. The moon shone brightly through as if mocking him. Three black bird-like creatures flew around the apple tree outside.

The wind had stopped howling.

The voice had stopped whispering.

Everything was silent. Too silent.

Paul felt his insides start to burn. He turned back to look at Jenna.

Their eyes locked.

He felt an internal fire spread through his limbs. Looking down at himself, he could see his body disintegrating slowly. He knew it was time. There was nothing more he could do. He had failed her again. He looked back into those beautiful brown eyes. He saw the fear, the pain, the hurt..

"Jenna.." he whispered, "I love you. I am sorry..."

"Paul, please..," she sobbed.

He could feel the fire reaching up to his stomach.

It was all over.

"I love you" he cried out one last time before he felt his insides succumb to the fires of hell.

A/N: All you Paul haters, its time to say bye bye to him!! Hope you liked this chapter. Leave a comment and let me know what you think! And ya, don't forget to vote! More votes, more chances of making it to tyhe Watty Awards! So vote away!!!