Chapter Twenty Nine

Start from the beginning

All of that changed when she left town to go to college in the neighbouring city. When she came back during her summer holidays, she was only half the person she used to be. She looked defeated and tired. She was sad and withdrawn and stayed in her room and refused to go out anywhere.

Finally one day, Kate got fed up with her forlorn behaviour and went up to her room. What she saw shocked the living day lights out her. She found Michelle sitting on the floor in a pool of her own vomit. She had a knife in her hand and was cutting her body all over but what scared Kate the most were Michelle's eyes. Her usually grey eyes were a bright shade of blue that seemed to be burning a hole through Kate's soul as she looked at it.

Frightened, she and Tom rushed to the only doctor we had in town at that time.  At first everyone thought that Michelle must be suffering from depression because of some episode in college. Blue eyes were attributed to contact lenses acquired at the more "modern" neigbouring city.  And she was put on to severe medication.

The medicines only worsened the situation and she got more and more violent. Finally they came to me and when I met her, I knew at once that there was a spirit inside her that was almost completely controlling her.

When Michelle was herself one day, she spoke to me and told me that all of this began when she reached college. When unpacking, she had found this book called The Legend stuffed in to her suitcase. Thinking that her mother might have packed it in for her, Michelle unsuspectingly began reading it.

To cut a long story short, everything changed after that. She had suffered with this beast in her for almost three months and by the time we came into the picture, it was too late. Like I mentioned earlier, the spirit had taken complete control of her and the exorcism chased away the spirit but we couldn't save her.

After everything, we came to the room and searched for the book. We finally found it and saw that the last page had been torn out. Nevertheless, I tore it up into as small pieces as I could and set it on fire. We thought that we had managed to destroy it but apparently we were wrong because thirty years later and it has found its way to you."

"I told her that I would meet her tomorrow at my house. Did I make a mistake doing that? Michelle, I mean, this thing sounds dangerous."

"You did the right thing. We can put our plan into action tomorrow itself. Remember I told you that our only disadvantage is that we don't know what shape or form the spirit will take? Well now we do. It has chosen to approach you in the form of Michelle.

Tomorrow at 11 am you will meet her and tomorrow we will end this once and for all. I want you to carry the book with you and we will try and destroy it."

"Okay," replied Jenna. "The book is anyway in that house itself. I didn't carry it with me when I shifted."

"I have a question", Tyler suddenly spoke up.

"What is it?" Asked Francis. "Ask me anything you want. It's best that I clarify everything now before we begin tomorrow."