The Head Cover-15

Chapter 15: The Talk

I was lounging in my chair. It was a tired noon and I had nothing to do here. I missed school, but I couldn’t go anymore. After that meeting on Wednesday, I thought it was over. But the Friday I was called again and there was just Mr. Russell and Mr. Carmen there. They both talked and talked about the disadvantage of wearing the scarf. I answered back just as determined. I was not going to give up my scarf. And the Monday was tedious. There were more mocking than usual and I was called frequently to the office, to talk about the so called Head cover Issue. I hated it. I wanted to shout at them.

Wednesday it was more people in the room. I simply said what I told before. Uniform wasn’t there in the school and why was they ordering about the uniform, only for me? Was I a special case?

They threatened me that I couldn’t continue the studies and that was when I broke apart. I stood from my chair pushed it away and faced them furiously.

Nobody swallows a bitter pill than that of anger—seeking the satisfaction of Allah. (Ibn Majah)

I knew… I knew… But this wasn’t the time to sit politely. If I was going to walk away, I wouldn’t walk away without having a say. The three baldies’ eyes widened and Mr. Russell’s eyes narrowed. I shook my head as I neatly adjusted my head cover with a smile.

“If you think I am going to give this up,” I pointed my head cover, “Then you are wrong.” Their face contorted to anger.

And when the foolish address them (with bad words) they reply back with ‘Salamaa’ (peaceful words of gentleness). (Qur’an, 25:63)

I remembered the above verse and the frown in my face lifted to a smile. I sighed deeply before pointing the four members.

“The devil promises you destitution and enjoins on you lewdness. But Allah promises you forgiveness from Himself with bounty. Allah is All-Embracing, All Knowing. (2:43) I can’t give up my Hijab for an education. It’s important to me, but not as important as my identity. I would be lost without this, sirs. This is what makes me who I am. So, Salaama, I am going now.”

And after that day I never went to school. It had been two days. My mom and dad wanted me to go to school; they said they would accompany me, but I needed time. They had destroyed my peacefulness and I wanted to rest.

~~~

“Mom,” It was Yusuf’s voice. What was he doing here now of all the time? When he entered inside, I saw Jake following him. What was these two doing here in house?

When Jake saw me, his brows went up before he nodded acknowledging my presence. I just turned away from him.

“What are you doing here, Yusuf?” I asked with a small smile. He just nodded “Went to pray Jumu’ah.” I nodded at that “That I know; what are you doing here instead of going back to school.”

“Riaz wants to celebrate.”

“And who is Riaz?” I asked doubtfully. I had never heard the name Riaz. So who was Riaz?

“Hey boy.” My mom came in with a big smile.

“Mom, meet Riaz, Riaz meet mom.” Yusuf said and I jumped up from my couch as if I was on fire. My eyes bulged out and I was stunned to silence. My heart was thundering and my lips were wide open.

“Close your mouth sister. Flies are rounding it.” Yusuf’s chuckled broke my trance. “Riaz?” I whispered and Jake nodded.

“Subhanallah!” I cheered with a big smile.

“So why are you not in school?” Riaz asked. I simply shrugged “Tired of it.”

“So you’re not going to come. There’s just a month more. You can’t give it up now.”

“Tell her son, we had already advised her, but she is stubborn and she said she doesn’t want to go.” My mom said all too eagerly.

“Come on, you’re not the strong girl I knew.” Riaz said and Yusuf nodded.

“If you give up now, they’ll be proud. But Zara, I want you to win.” Yusuf convinced me. I nodded reluctantly “I will go, but if they do more, I am quitting!”

“They won’t do anything!” It was Riaz’s supportive tone that made me smile.

“Certainly no one despairs Allah’s Mercy, except the people who disbelieve. (Qur’an 12: 87) So, Zara Malik, you can still win them all.” My mom said and I nodded.

“I will try, mom. I know Allah will help me always, but if Allah wants me to quit, then there’s no one who can help me. So I am taking the last chance and then if it’s not a success, my decision is made.”

“In order that you may not be sad over matters that you fail to get, nor rejoice because of that which has been given to you… (Qur’an 57:23) It’s the simplest teaching from Allah, the Almighty. He orders us to be impartial to both success and failure. Why do we have to celebrate for our victory, when indeed we all know it’s short-lived? Why do we have to grieve for our failure and losses when it is indeed short-lived as well? So come on Zara, be the girl I know.” Yusuf said cheerfully. I nodded my head at that. It was so true. I was not this grieving girl. I was a fighter.

“And I know Allah wants you to fight more, to show them you can stand against them all.”

I smiled at Riaz’s word. If what he said was true, then so be it. I would fight until I couldn’t any more.

“I will fight then.”

That put a wide smile in three faces.

……………………………………………………………………………………………………………

May Allah's blessings be upon you all. Continue reading this story and Vote and comment for it.